Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

If I was French, I would probably ban Nolan forever for how he "handled" French army in his film.

Lord Shade wrote:
If I was French, I would probably ban Nolan forever for how he "handled" French army in his film.
Could you tell me more?

Lord Shade wrote:OK, so I watched it tonight on IMAX on press screening in my country. Sorry for not notifying you, was busy at time.

But, GOSH, was
the script
horrible.
It wasn't only the characters, but also the dialogues and the script itself, some of them made my ears bleed. For the very brief moment, I was posessed by the idea that the screenplay for Inception was actually written by Leonardo DiCaprio and not Nolan himself. How could a man who wrote the best blockbuster of this century write such nonsense like this Dunkirk?
you actually got to hear them talk, lucky you! I couldn't make out jack shit. I had to guess half the time. The only people who actually enunciated their words were Rylance, Cillian and Branagh... Hardy and Lowden - this is all I heard "he's on me, I'm on him... roger that 50 gallons... shsebnkhdhb E .. make sure that shdhhshsyhheb " -- oh and cue Hans music over that radio talk

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Do you have a score for it yet, or are you going to wait until your second viewing?
I get what you're saying -- totally agree with you!
I do have a score in mind and I doubt I will change it so in an effort to be respectful to others who haven't seen it yet, I've spoiler tagged my rating
8.5 / 10

Visuals - 9 / 10
Sound Editing - 4 / 10
Score - 7 / 10
Screenplay - 9 / 10

In my opinion, without the non-linear edit, it would've been boring as hell.

I went back and listened to Jeremy Jahns' review -- I hate to say it ... but some of what he said ... especially the part about "Making a movie realistic doesn't make it great" resonates with me

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
natalie wrote:Second viewing on Imax. Not change my rating. A solid 9.5.
How loud was the IMAX sound mix?
I hadn't any issues with it.

Not sure which thread to post this in, so it's going in three.

Just got out of my advanced screening. Enjoyed it, but I feel like it needed more character work. For me, without that (and a bit of a break from the suspense, which for me became a bit mind numbing in the second act) it lacks a certain punch.

First and third act land really well, though. A lot of great scenes/sequences... Not sure how much I can say without getting into spoilers, plus I'm still processing.

EDIT: I'll do some random thoughts.

The cast was terrific. Tom Hardy, Kenneth Brannagh in particular. One great moment with Rylance. Harry availed himself very well (as did the seven early teen fangirls sitting in the row in front of me, who were damn near jumping out of their skins before the movie started). He might've even been my favourite of the younger/new cast.

Cinematography and music are 10/10 (though the heaviness of the IMAX cameras rob Nolan of some of the quick energy I loved in his stuff from TDKR and earlier). The opening sequence is great in instilling its sense of dread, as is the last in its sense of bittersweet hope.

Not sure what I'd rate it yet. But due to the second act growing a bit dull for me, and the lack of more traditional character stuff, I didn't have the visceral "F*** yeah" gut reaction I had all through TDK, The Prestige, Memento etc.

Not sure which thread to post this in, so it's going in three.

Just got out of my advanced screening. Enjoyed it, but I feel like it needed more character work. For me, without that (and a bit of a break from the suspense, which for me became a bit mind numbing in the second act) it lacks a certain punch.

First and third act land really well, though. A lot of great scenes/sequences... Not sure how much I can say without getting into spoilers, plus I'm still processing.

EDIT: I'll do some random thoughts.

The cast was terrific. Tom Hardy, Kenneth Brannagh in particular. One great moment with Rylance. Harry availed himself very well (as did the seven early teen fangirls sitting in the row in front of me, who were damn near jumping out of their skins before the movie started). He might've even been my favourite of the younger/new cast.

Cinematography and music are 10/10 (though the heaviness of the IMAX cameras rob Nolan of some of the quick energy I loved in his stuff from TDKR and earlier). The opening sequence is great in instilling its sense of dread, as is the last in its sense of bittersweet hope.

Not sure what I'd rate it yet. But due to the second act growing a bit dull for me, and the lack of more traditional character stuff, I didn't have the visceral "F*** yeah" gut reaction I had all through TDK, The Prestige, Memento etc.

Saw this on a small screen in Brsibane australia. Wow just wow.Virtual reality without headsets.I breathed a sigh of relief afterwards just like the soldiers did.This movie was outstanding, incredible and atmospheric. For me this was a horror movie.The tension in the moment of survival was unbearable at times.I wonder how this movie looks in imax.This is Nolans best well shot for me on a technical level. The structure lost me a little bit as i was very tired from work but i was so immersed in the movie that it didn't bother me.For me the characters worked very well .I was on the journey of survival with fions character especially. I Really connected with him .Tom hardys scenes were just mindblowing .However i can see how this will be divided because it is not the typical nolan movie.This is very different and felt so old school. This in my eyes is a cinematic masterpiece and cant wait to see ona bigger screen.My only negative was a
certain death scene of a young boy could have been done better but it is a realistic movie
.My score is 10/10 . However i do understand if some won't like it,It is not for everyone.

For those who have seen the movie -- I wanted to get your thoughts
Couldn't they have gotten someone else to play the role Farrier (Tom Hardy)... in all honesty what was so "riveting" about his performance that couldn't be achieved by another faceless actor? Rylance, Darcy, Cillian, Branagh were the standouts