[SPOILERS] Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Esench wrote:Hi everyone. I have a problem or confusion about Cillian Murphys character. Maybe this question has already been answered but I can't find it. So am I the only one that have problems with híd character. I mean when we see his character at the night scene when he denies the soldiers entering rescue boat he seems completely different than the shivering soldier. Is the movie lacks the transformation of his character or just me that missing something?
He's shell-shocked and "may never be himself again". Mr. Dawson explains this to George in one scene.

Willem wrote:
Esench wrote:Hi everyone. I have a problem or confusion about Cillian Murphys character. Maybe this question has already been answered but I can't find it. So am I the only one that have problems with híd character. I mean when we see his character at the night scene when he denies the soldiers entering rescue boat he seems completely different than the shivering soldier. Is the movie lacks the transformation of his character or just me that missing something?
He's shell-shocked and "may never be himself again". Mr. Dawson explains this to George in one scene.
Well, you know what they say about "when the bullets start flying...".

He encountered them before a U-boat altered his course and killed his men. Obviously the tides turned at that point... or at least his ship did.

I also found I couldn't spot the middle of that. I saw him shell-socked when rescued and saw him fine on the rowboat earlier (but later in the film, on the LAND timeline) but I could tell what boat anything was happening to when the view was more distant.

dormouse7 wrote:I also found I couldn't spot the middle of that. I saw him shell-socked when rescued and saw him fine on the rowboat earlier (but later in the film, on the LAND timeline) but I could tell what boat anything was happening to when the view was more distant.
We don't ever see the middle. We don't have to be shown it; we are asked to piece it together ourselves.

Just got back from seeing it, it was good! I'd give it a solid 8/10. Not his best but still very good. Funnily enough, I'm on screen in a huge way and as a tiny soldier in the distance. Im not recognizable in either of them but oh well.

One problem with the theatre I was at though, the bass was so loud the screen was actually shaking. Made still shots with that loud thumping heartbeat very distracting.

I guess I'll speak to you all again in 2-3 years when Nolan's next film comes out.

I was pretty surprised the oil scene was actually the climax of the action. I still was expecting shit to go down at the beach and Branagh to get blown up, but nope!

Oku
Why, did they film a lot of explosions at the beach and Mr. Branagh getting blown up that didn't make it into the movie?

okungnyo wrote:Why, did they film a lot of explosions at the beach and Mr. Branagh getting blown up that didn't make it into the movie?
When did they film Branagh's death?

Oku
They probably didn't.

I just asked because Reaveybeach said "I still was expecting shit to go down at the beach and Branagh to get blown up, but nope!", and he/she was there on set filming as an extra, so maybe he/she knew something that we didn't.

I saw it for the second time tonight. It was nice to discover that my very local IMAX actually seems to have Laser? Is DLP laser? The aspect ratio was almost as tall as my first viewing which was 15/70 film IMAX.

THIS time I got to see all of the important plot points I totally missed the first time around. Would have been nice if these important things weren't so fleeting and easily missable. Tonight I was specifically watching for and saw...

- Shivering Soldier elbow George causing him to fall down the stairs
- Gibson on the rowboat throwing the rope to Tommy and Alex
- Dutch trawler man telling Alex they could get the ship to float by losing some weight
- The Highlanders backing up Alex against Gibson
- Alex tapping Gibson to leave the sinking trawler
- Alex's face when and after he said the man couldn't even look him in the eye
- The look on Tommy's face at the very end of the film

What I saw for the first time and was glad I saw...

- There were plenty of rescued soldiers on the deck and even atop the cabin of the Moonstone. It was quite full. You can see the soldiers on deck when Tommy and Alex come up to see the white cliffs. Good. I wanted it to be full like Lightoller's yacht was.

- They did show a glimpse of all of the returning soldiers at Weymouth - a long view of the soldiers walking ahead of Tommy and Alex. They filmed and re-filmed that all day and night at Weymouth with hundreds of extras. I didn't catch that view the first time.

- There are two or three black (Senegalese?) soldiers with the French soldiers who are trying to get in line at the Mole.

What I still did not spot is what specifically happened to Shivering Soldier that left him shell shocked.

What I wish I had looked for is whether the place Farrier landed his plane was near where the trawler had been grounded. Could those have been the same German soldiers that were using the trawler for target practice?

During production, YFR3 said Hardy filmed a scene on the Digue du Braek area of the Dunkerque beach. The lighthouse in this photo is at Digue du Braek. I believe this lighthouse was visible in the distance along the shore seen behind the grounded trawler.

Last edited by dormouse7 on July 25th, 2017, 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

They don't show you speicifically what happened to shivering soldier. They ask you to fill in the gap.