Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
McConaughey was a bit too orange in Interstellar...

Interstellar is harsh and ugly. Aesthetically unpleasant to look at and just plain ugly at times.

Hoytema's work on Tinker Tailor is still his most stunning work. However, Dunkirk looks beautiful.

Let the Right One is is quite something too tho.

ChristMAX wrote:Dunkirk looks great so far but there's a couple of shots that look a little 'muddy' and/or too warm.
Remember that the final color grade can be completely different than that from the trailers. The companies that put together trailers like to push the grade in a direction that they think will stand out. That can be different from the grade that Hoyte will use.

Nomis wrote:McConaughey was a bit too orange in Interstellar...
old texas man + tungsten lighting + 500t film = orange

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Nomis wrote:McConaughey was a bit too orange in Interstellar...
old texas man + tungsten lighting + 500t film = orange
Yeah I was gonna say how his skin tone doesn't help.
I'm not familiar with petrochemical timing (how much control you can have and what not) but maybe if they had done a DI they could've toned it down a little.

They could. There is complete control in final color grade. He could have been purple if they wanted to do that. For sure Nolan thought his skin tone supported the story.

dsus4gtr wrote: the gritty realism of the opening of the film and the "drab" opening photography sets it up visually in contrast to the outer space scenes... it's almost analogous to the sepia start of The Wizard of Oz opening up to the colorful yellow brick road...
But it never stops being drab. If anything it's more lush and warm on Earth.

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law
There is a shot in this film when two destroyers are in the background while one of the smaller vessels pulls up at what looks like dawn. Probably one of my favorite shots in a Nolan film

The one shot with James D'Arcy walking towards the camera on the beach.

It gave me Lawrence of Arabia vibes.