Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
Lord Shade wrote:My favorite shot is right at the beginning when
Fionn is walking from the town on the beach a watches the soldiers standing... waiting. Just as he will.
It was one of the most atmospheric ones. Plus superb directing.

My favorite big-scale shot was cutted-off from the movie. It was a giant shot of destroyer from the prologue, right from the top to the bottom of the IMAX screen. Maybe Nolan and co. decided that it was too IMAX-dependent.
Which shot was that?

The shot(s) that take(s) the cake by far is
the ending sequence with Hardy. Just glorious. I know Nolan wouldn't end the film without at least one of these jaw-droppingly beautiful shots.
That said, I think a lot of the film's cinematography feels reserved. There are gorgeous shots here and there, but there are also a lot of "missed opportunities" when I felt the shots could've looked grander. Then I realized Nolan and HvH probably didn't want to glamorize and glorify war that much.

okungnyo wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:My favorite shot is right at the beginning when
Fionn is walking from the town on the beach a watches the soldiers standing... waiting. Just as he will.
It was one of the most atmospheric ones. Plus superb directing.

My favorite big-scale shot was cutted-off from the movie. It was a giant shot of destroyer from the prologue, right from the top to the bottom of the IMAX screen. Maybe Nolan and co. decided that it was too IMAX-dependent.
Which shot was that?
I watched the prologue half-year ago, so don't ask me about details. But it was a giant shot, which specifically came right to my mind ebcause I thought how pointless it will be in any other format rather than IMAX 70mm or Laser. Maybe that's because it was deleted.

It was a shot something between the lines in the scene when Gibson and Tommy are running with the dead soldier on the stretcher. The giant shot of the entire destroyer in its full lengh from the top to the bottom of the screen.

It reminds me of this, but with actual ship instead of a shadow, and it shot from the beach, which means the lower view:

It was a GRAND SHOT in the true sense of the word.

Oku
Can you draw it??

Forum Pro
Law
He's talking about the moonstone passing by a destroyer.

Oku
Ohh, thanks.

I misread it as "the boys on the beach can see the destroyer, which somehow fills up the entire screen...??", which confused me.

Forum Pro
Law
okungnyo wrote:Ohh, thanks.

I misread it as "the boys on the beach can see the destroyer, which somehow fills up the entire screen...??", which confused me.
I'll screenshot it and link it once I get home. It's not a POV from the beach

Law wrote:He's talking about the moonstone passing by a destroyer.
Yes, yes, exactly. I rewatched a bootleg of a prologue to remember, and I've seen this shot at the end.

See, I remembered it incorrectly. It was Moonstone passing through it, not soldiers watching from the beach. But it was showed from the lower point, from the Moonstone. It was like this destroyer was Bane from TDKR, if this analogy is to the place.

Here:

Forum Pro
Law
Lord Shade wrote:
Law wrote:He's talking about the moonstone passing by a destroyer.
Yes, yes, exactly. I rewatched a bootleg of a prologue to remember, and I've seen this shot at the end.

See, I remembered it incorrectly. It was Moonstone passing through it, not soldiers watching from the beach. But it was showed from the lower point, from the Moonstone. It was like this destroyer was Bane from TDKR, if this analogy is to the place.

Here:

Ah this was glorious.

Also, the little ships coming to Dunkirk and Brannagh's face then? Chills.