Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
theres one shot that kind of blew me away and it was on the mole when the camera
shifts from a hiding fionn and frog to branagh above them

There was one shot that left me with my mouth open. It was a shot of Farrier's Spitfire flying towards Dunkirk I think, with some ships in the background and the black smoke from Dunkirk. It lasted like 10 seconds.

That shot alone should give Hoytema his cinematography nomination

God I would (and will) rewatch this film just for the cinematography alone.

My favorite shot in the film was
right after Gibson drowned, him floating away, only his hand visible through the ladder. It was probably just a second or two, but that image affected me so much, it felt like an eternity.

Still can't fucking believe how and why Gibson died.

He is such a strong character, and he didn't even say one word. THAT is filmmaking.

jemme wrote:My favorite shot in the film was
right after Gibson drowned, him floating away, only his hand visible through the ladder. It was probably just a second or two, but that image affected me so much, it felt like an eternity.
Jesus I think I've missed it. I was just utterly shocked and kicking myself for
genuinely thinking he was a german mole up until he revealed himself. Did not expect his character overall to affect me in a way it did.

My favorite shot is right at the beginning when
Fionn is walking from the town on the beach a watches the soldiers standing... waiting. Just as he will.
It was one of the most atmospheric ones. Plus superb directing.

My favorite big-scale shot was cutted-off from the movie. It was a giant shot of destroyer from the prologue, right from the top to the bottom of the IMAX screen. Maybe Nolan and co. decided that it was too IMAX-dependent.

Ruth wrote:
jemme wrote:My favorite shot in the film was
Jesus I think I've missed it. I was just utterly shocked and kicking myself for
genuinely thinking he was a german mole up until he revealed himself. Did not expect his character overall to affect me in a way it did.
Well, he did
open the door so Fionn, Harry and the other soldiers could swim towards the light, so if he was a mole he obviously wouldn't have done that.
About the cinematography, like i've said in my review, Nolans style of shooting (documentary like style) works best in Dunkirk, because of the film's nature. It connects perfectly to the story and is probably Nolans best cinematography wise.

Impossible to think of only one favorite shot, but mostly the wide angle aerial shots and also the
last scene with Hardy, with the golden hour look and the shot of him looking at his burning plane.

^Well duh. The thing is I read a review with spoilers which called
Gibson a mole, another oddly mentioned potential german spies travelling together so I thought that was really it lol.