Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Wow - some pretty harsh criticism of Interstellar's cinematography...

Regarding slick photography, we get that with TV commercials. What Nolan did with Interstellar is more special - the gritty realism of the opening of the film and the "drab" opening photography sets it up visually in contrast to the outer space scenes... it's almost analogous to the sepia start of The Wizard of Oz opening up to the colorful yellow brick road...

To each their own - in my book Interstellar is still my favorite!

Can't wait to see how great Dunkirk is!

dsus4gtr wrote:Wow - some pretty harsh criticism of Interstellar's cinematography...

Regarding slick photography, we get that with TV commercials. What Nolan did with Interstellar is more special - the gritty realism of the opening of the film and the "drab" opening photography sets it up visually in contrast to the outer space scenes... it's almost analogous to the sepia start of The Wizard of Oz opening up to the colorful yellow brick road...

To each their own - in my book Interstellar is still my favorite!

Can't wait to see how great Dunkirk is!
It really is a gorgeous looking film.

Spectre was hideous, though. Skyfall (Deakins) looked fantastic in comparison.

'Hideous' :facepalm: Spectre get praised allot for it's cinematography. Not that the movie is any good, but that does not take anything away from Hoyte's fantastic work.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually likes Spectre. Cinematography was good but felt a bit... Overcooked? idk can't quite put my finger on it.

Dunkirk looks stunning.

Reading stuff like a few pages back I always feel like I'm being educated in a class on stuff I don't understand

Ruth wrote:Reading stuff like a few pages back I always feel like I'm being educated in a class on stuff I don't understand
Yup, me two.

I thought Interstellar overall looked great, and it didn't feel too different from past Nolan films. My only nitpick would have to be how in certain certain shots they pushed for a yellowish tone too much, something from the first Dunkirk trailer I've also complained about.

I'd have to agree with what @Innovator said

Dunkirk looks great so far but there's a couple of shots that look a little 'muddy' and/or too warm. I remember Emma saying that the ideal weather conditions for filming would be cloudy/overcast, which does look great in the couple of shots that were filmed in those conditions, however the bright, sunny shots don't necessarily fit in with the tone Nolan is going for

Edit: But that's only the weather conditions, so there's nothing Nolan/Hoyte could've done about it

I'm sure Nolan knows exactly what he wants.

I personally didn't care for Hoytema's work in HER and I haven't seen SPECTRE, but I really loved what he did on INTERSTELLAR. It looks really beautiful. There's nothing that bothered me about it.

With Dunkirk, I actually quite like the warm/yellow look they went with. It looks like they went with the same look they've done with the cornfield chase scene from INTERSTELLAR for the sunny parts of the movie. The stormy/cloudy parts have a totally different look. Very dark, moody and somewhat muted. I love that contrast. The couple of night exterior shots look wonderful too. I still think it's too soon to judge how it looks color wise. Trailers can give a false idea of how the final film will look like.

INTERSTELLAR, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, and INCEPTION are my top three when it comes to cinematography, but it seems like Dunkirk will top those three. I really loved every single shot I've seen.

Edit:

Just wanted to add that even if you don't like a certain look, it's what the director intended.
I also wonder how INTERSTELLAR & DUNKIRK would've looked like if Wally Pfister was the DoP.