Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
hello guys for you what's the best detailed imax cinematography in a nolan film for me i think the dark knight wally pfister has a different kind of style to sharpen the images i think better than hoyte's one but hoyte is more stylised he really plays a lot with depth of field like the cockpits handheld shots sometimes you can spot only the fuel switcher in focus i think that's great

I hated the edge-enhancement used on TDK.

i'm not talking about the blu ray i'm talking about the imax 70mm print

Can't wait to read the 4K blu-ray reviews of Nolan's Batman films. Sad thing I won't be able to see them in 4K anytime soon... There better be some dope screenshots tho lololol

what did you think nomis from dunkirk imax cinematography versus interstellar's imax one :batman:

I think Van Hoytema fucking aced it with Dunkirk. Holy shit, with all the things they've done with the film. Dunkirk is perfect, perfect, perfect

Nomis wrote:I think Van Hoytema fucking aced it with Dunkirk. Holy shit, with all the things they've done with the film. Dunkirk is perfect, perfect, perfect
This. Interstellar has some really great shots, Dunkirk has only really great shots.

Nomis wrote:I think Van Hoytema fucking aced it with Dunkirk. Holy shit, with all the things they've done with the film. Dunkirk is perfect, perfect, perfect
Fuck you man. I'm drooling.£

kamelgunner wrote:i'm not talking about the blu ray i'm talking about the imax 70mm print
Right, they decided to use the IMAX 70mm print on the Blu-ray, which made the non-IMAX shots look god awful because of all of the sharpening applied to them for IMAX theaters. I wish they used the 35mm print for the non-IMAX shots. There is just way too much ringing on that Blu-ray.

They seemed to learn their lesson with TDKR and Interstellar, though I don't know what was different. Maybe just not as much sharpening for the actual IMAX 70mm print itself.

Exclusive Dunkirk Featurette

https://360wisenews.com/2017/12/23/take ... iveOldPost
To celebrate the release of Christopher Nolan’s soaring masterpiece, Dunkirk on home entertainment we’re bringing you an exclusive clip taking a look behind the scenes of how those aerial shots were filmed.

In the clip, entitled Taking to the Air, we hear from Director of Photography, Hoyte Van Hoytema, on the extreme measures Christopher Nolan loves to take to create the perfect shot, which is not an easy job. Revealing Nolan likes to get the perfect angle by doing the scene for real instead of using CGI effects.

You can watch the clip below.