Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
AhmadAli95 wrote:LOL! Guys, chill.
You know, this is the third time I've been called for not being 'calm' or 'chill' in like the past two weeks. I don't understand this. My heart rate is literally steady when I type these posts. I'm neither flustered nor upset.

However, the cutesy "Teehee don't send me one but really send me one teehee" thing is really pathetic, and I almost hope those who want to play that game with each other get exactly what's coming for them if somebody decided to crack down on the law (which happens slim-to-none of the time for these kinds of things).

Why are you being super defensive all of a sudden? No one said you were flustered or upset. I was addressing everyone, especially the ones who thought that I have access to a leak (who probably were very calm when they wrote their posts too).
You're taking things too seriously.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:However, the cutesy "Teehee don't send me one but really send me one teehee" thing is really pathetic, and I almost hope those who want to play that game with each other get exactly what's coming for them if somebody decided to crack down on the law.
i mean we literally have law on here so I hope he cyber arrests us for something on here right now

Do it law :clap:
The majority of people don't mean at least half of the shit they say on here for real, so I'm not even sure what exactly is going on

AhmadAli95 wrote:For those who have seen it both on digital and film, how does it compare in terms of color and contrast? Was it identical to the trailers?

P.S. Am I the only one who though the wide aerial shot after the Heinkel dropped the bombs on the minesweeper to be quite video game-ish? It also reminded me of Star Wars space battles for some odd reason :D
Maybe people generally more discerning than me can tell a real difference, but I saw 70mm and digital two weeks apart and couldn't. Thought it still looked absolutely gorgeous in digital, though.

The size of the screen is what made the most noticeable difference for me -- the aerial sequences benefit the most from IMAX.

AhmadAli95 wrote:For those who have seen it both on digital and film, how does it compare in terms of color and contrast? Was it identical to the trailers?

P.S. Am I the only one who though the wide aerial shot after the Heinkel dropped the bombs on the minesweeper to be quite video game-ish? It also reminded me of Star Wars space battles for some odd reason :D
I’ve seen it in IMAX xenon and standard 70mm. 70mm was a stark kick in the retina compared to xenon. The primary difference being the colors, you could definitely tell it wasn’t chewed up and spat out by a computer. The blues of the arial shots were quite majestic. The skin tones were notably different, more red-ish instead of washed out white in digital. The one negative with 70mm was the dynamic range. In one shot, you could see Mr. Dawnson’s face, and then he steps into the cabin of the boat into the shade and you couldn’t see him at all. The worst part was the night shot where fake-Gibson looks put into the horizon and all you see is tiny little dots of light in the distance, and nothing else, the frame was just one big blotch of very very dark grey. The same shot in xenon was much more clear.

I thought 70mm IMAX film looked a bit warmer in tone than digital. But maybe my eyes were just making it agree with what Nolan said about film being warmer. I thought 70mm IMAX film looked a bit sharper/crisper too.

dormouse7 wrote:I thought 70mm IMAX film looked a bit warmer in tone than digital. But maybe my eyes were just making it agree with what Nolan said about film being warmer. I thought 70mm IMAX film looked a bit sharper/crisper too.
Looked warmer to me as well.

I saw it in Xenon and 70mm IMAX. When I saw it in Xenon (i saw xenon after 70mm imax), i noticed the colors were more... microsoft-paint-ish, and the 70mm IMAX was more "vintage" and realistic. Also, some scenes where there's really dark blacks contrasted with bright colors like the scene where the pleasure boat is drifting off into the sunset, the water is very bright in some parts and very dark in some parts, and more saturated (not sure if thats a correct word) or dense; the digital xenon seemed thinner and less dense.

Lol I don't know any cinematography or photography terms, so I might sound like an idiot, but that's how my non-educated self would describe it. I definitely noticed a difference. Also very noticeable was the scenes where theres close-ups or mid-range shots of faces like Kenneth Brannagh or the Spitfire cockpit scenes, the skin color and everything else like the jackets and stuff the colors seemed more realistic and vintage feeling, where digital seemed like the picture was "colored in" with microsoft paint (exaggerated explanation).

By the way, just curious, does this big difference only happen when a film is converted from film to digital? For example, Blade Runner 2049 will be filmed in digital, but I'm guessing it won't have that "colored-in-with-microsoft-paint" look that the xenon conversion Dunkirk had right?

Also, if just for example Nolan filmed all of Dunkirk with digital, would the look of the film watching from xenon look the same in that hypothetically digitally-filmed Dunkirk vs the actual 70mm imax filmed Dunkirk? Or would the colors/saturation/contrast or whatever look better for the digitally-filmed version than the 70mmfilmed version, assuming watching both in a Xenon theater?

dissonance wrote:When I saw it in Xenon (i saw xenon after 70mm imax), i noticed the colors were more... microsoft-paint-ish,
Lol

so this plays pretty well in 2.20, but there were a couple shots that felt constrained, most notably
the first time Collins crashes. we get a wide shot of his plane with the Moonstone in top of frame coming in for the rescue - all of this is visible in 1.43

in 2.20 much of the Moonstone gets cut off to the point you may not even be able to tell what ship was in the top of frame if you didn’t already know what it was