Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
This movie basically cements Hoytema as my preferred DP for Nolan between him and Pfister.

Yeah, I agree. I like the cinematography of both Dunkirk and Interstellar better than any of the Pfister shot movies.

I guess it's because of Hoytema's willingness to experiment and all of Nolan's experience using large format cameras

e.g. handheld IMAX camera footage and quite literally bolting an IMAX camera to the side of a Spitfire

ChristMAX wrote:I guess it's because of Hoytema's willingness to experiment and all of Nolan's experience using large format cameras

e.g. handheld IMAX camera footage and quite literally bolting an IMAX camera to the side of a Spitfire
he's working off techniques that wally pioneered tho

I'll never forget that test shot of Wally holding an IMAX camera on his shoulder only to fall over, from then on never to attempt handheld IMAX again lol.

Bless HvH for doing the things he has done with IMAX

Nolan really needs to get over having to dub dialogue that's shot with IMAX. There's no perceptible difference to the average person between dubbed IMAX dialogue and dialogue shot in camera. He had a chance to make an extraordinarily beautiful movie, a fully fledged IMAX experience that never changes AR, with his movie with the least dialogue, but gave that up so he didn't have to dub the boat scenes.

In terms of preserving the audio sanctity, his movies already have shitloads of added-in, unnatural sound effects and dialogue. It wouldn't really hurt that much more to dub the dialogue. Considering Dunkirk was most suited to being entirely in IMAX because of its minimal dialogue and experiential aim, I guess Nolan will never give a full-on IMAX movie. We'll have to wait for another director to do so, if ever.

Nomis wrote:I'll never forget that test shot of Wally holding an IMAX camera on his shoulder only to fall over, from then on never to attempt handheld IMAX again lol.

Bless HvH for doing the things he has done with IMAX
DUTCH FUCKING MUSCLES BABY! Hoyte "Dutch CineMuscle" van Hoytema

Geoffrey wrote:Nolan really needs to get over having to dub dialogue that's shot with IMAX. There's no perceptible difference to the average person between dubbed IMAX dialogue and dialogue shot in camera. He had a chance to make an extraordinarily beautiful movie, a fully fledged IMAX experience that never changes AR, with his movie with the least dialogue, but gave that up so he didn't have to dub the boat scenes.

In terms of preserving the audio sanctity, his movies already have shitloads of added-in, unnatural sound effects and dialogue. It wouldn't really hurt that much more to dub the dialogue. Considering Dunkirk was most suited to being entirely in IMAX because of its minimal dialogue and experiential aim, I guess Nolan will never give a full-on IMAX movie. We'll have to wait for another director to do so, if ever.
Technically, dubbing should lead to better sound quality. Making it sync and fit the scene might be one other thing entirely, but making it sound good on a technical level should be fantastic. I always think animated movies sound better than live action film when it comes to dialogue, and ADR is the same.

dubbing is worse for acting.

Whilst I oppose using ADR in a Nolan film (because it's simply not the Nolan way of doing things), I'm all for improving the sound quality of the dialogue - this has been an issue in most of Nolan's films

Honestly, some of the dialogue in Interstellar sounds like it was recorded on a wax cylinder