Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Nicewatch wrote:I have not sent the link to the PDF to the 4 of you above. If anyone else does not want it, please send me a PM. Thanks!
I certainly don't want it either.

All of the aerial shots, and especially the ones towards the end are all 11/10. Seriously perfect. Other than that I have to say I really liked
Some of the dark, out-of-focus shots from outside of the torpedoed boat, when Aneurin Barnard's character is trying to open the door and then jump into the water, and when the others swim outside. The blurryness and all the darkness mixed with some lights from the boat and some flames in the background made that sequence look epic.

Nicewatch wrote:I have not sent the link to the PDF to the 4 of you above. If anyone else does not want it, please send me a PM. Thanks!
I so badly don't want it that I wouldn't even consider begging or doing anything degrading. Definitely wouldn't even check my inbox.

I thought one of the most stunning scenes was one either at dusk or dawn where the sky and water were gray and there were soldiers on the standing (on a boat?) looking towards the left side of the frame. Everyone was edge-lit, as were the ripples on the water. I don't even know when in the film it was, but the scene was beautiful.

666kalpa wrote:I like how Nolan ends his films ....
Beautiful

I noticed the ending similarities immediately. Nolan likes to shoot the endings in IMAX with distintively harsh focuses and lots of closeups.

Oku
What is a harsh focus?

okungnyo wrote:What is a harsh focus?
Just a strong focus in other words, where the background of an image is very heavily blurred and only the subject is in focus.

Oku
Thanks, I do see that now that you've pointed it out.

Willem wrote:Well that was a deep analysis
hoyte was deep in my ass with his imax camera