Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Nicewatch wrote:I missed the conversation, but going back to the topic of shooting IMAX and standard 65mm, Van Hoytema (or someone involved with the production) did say in the ASC interview that the reasons behind shooting IMAX and 5/65mm instead of IMAX and 35mm like they did previously, was because they wanted the look to be more considtsnt throughout. Shooting 35mm, they use anamorphic lenses, which have their lovely distortions, shooting IMAX is spherical, switching between the two can be quite jarring because the optics are so different. Shooting IMAX and 5/65mm, it’s all spherical, not as distracting when switching between the two.
Then why didn't they choose to do that with TDK and TDKR?
Good question. I do know they based their decision of shooting Dunkirk in all spherical on their previous experience with TDK, TDKR and Interstellar. My guess is Nolan is progressing and evolving.

in TDK and Rises they probably weren't worried about matching formats because the IMAX scenes were more or less supposed to pop and distinguish themselves

also, Wally really likes anamorphic

Michaelf2225 wrote:in TDK and Rises they probably weren't worried about matching formats because the IMAX scenes were more or less supposed to pop and distinguish themselves

also, Wally really likes anamorphic
That is a plausable answer, also.

I'm surprised this says IMAX cameras can only shoot 3.5 minutes. Is that true for all IMAX film cameras?

---
USA Today: How Christopher Nolan shot those amazing aerial 'Dunkirk' dogfights
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 513407001/
"Most of what's in the film was done with real Spitfires," says Nolan. "The planes are in incredible condition and can do all the dogfighting, all the aerobatics. They are remarkable machines."
"I would be on the ground waving (them off) as they took off," says Nolan. "Craig would run the camera and fly the plane. They would do a half-hour sortie, come back and we’d look at the tape."

IMAX cameras allow for only three-and-a-half minutes of film shooting at one time, so the process was drawn out — each short shoot required a landing, review and film reloading.

"There were literally hundreds of take-off and landings. Up and down. Reload and shoot," says Hosking

dormouse7 wrote:I'm surprised this says IMAX cameras can only shoot 3.5 minutes. Is that true for all IMAX film cameras?
Yes and no, all IMAX film cameras generally have a short film load. The actual shooting time limit depends on how big of a film magazine that camera can hold.

See this awesome article for more info:
http://magazineinside.blogspot.com/2015 ... s.html?m=1

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
titansupes wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote: I made Blu-ray versions of TDK, TDKR and Interstellar with no AR-switching, and I love it.
Jealous.
I could help teach you how to do it, but you would need a Blu-ray drive for your PC, blank BD's, and a lot of different software. That, or I might be able to find a way to make some and ship them to you, but the versions that I made are void of menus, subtitles, different languages and special features. I just made the feature films, because I have the rest of the stuff on my regular BD's.

But yes, I prefer watching the films this way.
Now THAT is a generous offer that I'm going to have to consider. :o

Yes I think so.