Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Collector03601 wrote:There are many great shots, but my most favourite were the aerial ones towards the end, especially when
Farrier opens the cockpit and then the shot which follows - above look at flying spitfire with beach below.
That shot is like a Nolans love letter to the spitfires.

Regarding the ending two shots:
interesting to read different interpretations, mine is a bit simpler and more viewer oriented: the way I see it is that Tommy maybe wouldnt be alive if Farrier didnt choose to risk and stay in the fight. So we see Farrier heading towards doom and Tommy alive going back home.
I too thought it wasnt a great ending shot, but now Im starting to feel a bit differently.
I think both images spell doom, actually. One symbolizes self-sacrifice and the coming inferno, and the other is the dreaded look of a soldier reflecting that this is the beginning of the war, not the end. The triumphant words mean little to him beyond a foreshadowing of a protracted and bloody war that's going to continue to change and consume their lives for another half-decade. The Battle of Britain starts mere weeks after the Dunkirk evacuation ends. It's very likely that Tommy + co. eventually got shipped back overseas. The last shot is disquieting and cynical, and I love it.

Sky007 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
Sky007 wrote:That plane image becomes even greater and more thematically complex after the final shot.
I'm dumb can you explain
I'd like to hear Armand's analysis of this, and I'm still trying to pin down my own, but in short, Nolan suggests through his structure that acts of courage can transcend time (plenty of examples of this). Think of the 3 perspective at the end. For Farrier, he's entering certain doom. That burning plane is horror to him. Alex doesn't care about Tommy reading Churchill and thinks that they're failures. It's true that this was a military failure, but the lie becomes the public's reality. The cut back to Tommy, who was just inspired by this lie, and him looking up is the most subtly ambiguous ending that Nolan has ever done, and I'm curious to hear other interpretations. It's similar to Inception's final image that represents how we create our own realities.
Would also like to point out that the third-to-last scene is Peter showing his dad the newspaper article about George being hailed as a noble kind of hero, despite having made little impact before his senseless death. It's another bit of a white lie (along with the lie Peter tells the shivering soldier) that is essential for the survivors of this war -- civilians and military alike -- to believe in order to get by. Nolan's been harping on this kind of theme since Memento/Insomnia. In retrospect, it makes SO much sense for him to be drawn to the story of one of the great military propagandist feats in history. We barely notice because sanitizing the reality of war and conflict is a completely normal ritual, essential even, to the way our society views itself and operates.

made my fucking dick hard

Well that was a deep analysis

I like how Nolan ends his films ....
Last edited by 666kalpa on July 27th, 2017, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, that's a spoiler.

666kalpa wrote:I like how Nolan ends his films ....
BIG SPOILER

but i noticed this parallel on my first viewing lol.

666kalpa wrote:I like how Nolan ends his films ....
Yep, noticed that too. And it works.

Nicewatch wrote:I have not sent the link to the PDF to the 4 of you above. If anyone else does not want it, please send me a PM. Thanks!
No thanks for me either

I am not interested as well... send u a PM but it stays in my outbox (instead as in the folder sent) so I don't know if u received it.