Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Did we all of a sudden forget how incredible Interstellar was visually? I think even the biggest critics of that film couldn't deny the movie was visually stunning. Yes Wally Pfister is a huge loss, but don't be silly and dismiss Van Hoytema. He's a brilliant cinematographer... Nolan would be very grateful and happy if he actually comes back to shoot this film. Remember, he chose Van Hoytema from a whole group of cinematographers. Just look at this guys work on Her!

I would be very happy if Van Hoytema is back on board. He's one of the great ones.

I really hope it's Wally.

I mean, the dude needs work.

DoubleD wrote:I really hope it's Wally.

He's working. He directed a few commercials and three episodes of a show bound to be released in 2016. I doubt he wants to return to cinematography.

Panapaok wrote:
DoubleD wrote:I really hope it's Wally.

He's working. He directed a few commercials and three episodes of a show bound to be released in 2016. I doubt he wants to return to cinematography.
What's the show?

Hoyte van Hoytema or Robert Richardson. Gonna be Hoytema, but Richardson is A-grade and just did a 65mm film. Another sleeper candidate is Robert Elswit.

I think there are possible other candidates, but as I state in the Podcast, I think Hoyte being able to handle larger cameras and deliver that hand-held aesthetic is what's going to set him ahead of other cinematographers.