The Press/Premieres Tour Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
dormouse7 wrote:@dunkirktrash posted this in Harry's thread. Reposting here.

At 4:42 there seem to be the first of stills from some kind of press conference. You can hear Harry and then Fionn answer questions about Dunkirk. You can see placards for Harry, Fionn and Jack. I wonder where the rest of this is (Harry refers to Fionn having already said stuff - though maybe they just edited their responses out of order).

Judging by Harry's hair length I would guess the press conference was in early 2017, before April.
Yup, this looks like the long-lead press junket that Total Film was at, the feature also mentioned trips to see the filming locations that were part of it.
Willem wrote:
Michaelf2225 wrote:when will it screen for critics tho/when will we get reviews?
Yeah I want to know this too. Any rumours about press screenings?
These would happen a couple of days before the respective premieres. Most would be that week commencing July 10 I reckon, with the earliest the weekend prior in LA.

Oku
antovolk wrote:
okungnyo wrote:What is a 'long-lead print junket'?

As in, "we will let you into the editing room and give you exclusive interviews if you in return make our movie your magazine cover"?

And how do they invite all the magazines at once like with press junkets, or do they invite different magazines on separate days? Like, Tuesday Total Film, Wednesday Empire, etc.?

Edit: also, why is the premiere so close to release?? Wasn't Interstellar's like ten days before the opening?
'long-lead' means for long-lead press - like Total Film, Empire etc, actual print outlets who need long-lead access/coverage ahead of their issues going to print. There are separate junkets/screenings for these some time before the main press tour, which is primarily for online/TV. I'm sure Total Film print staff have absolutely seen the full film now as part of the long-lead junket, same goes for any other magazines with big features on the film. Stuff like set visits and editing room visits are separate special events, but yes, mostly for long-lead press.

Um, no....I'm hearing rumbles that the London premiere will be on the 13th (as opposed to the 19th which is the current TBC date) with the BFI screening being part of the 'festivities' so to say. So assuming this, it will be like Interstellar, which was the week prior to release week - although Interstellar was indeed a bit earlier relative to release compared to this.
Willem wrote:When can we expect a first press conference?
Usually just before the premiere tour there'll be a press junket in Los Angeles where there'll be a conference as part of that, otherwise it'll be wherever the first red carpet premiere is.

EDIT: I just realised the London date on the 13th and the NY on the 18th line up with the respective dates for Interstellar, so I suspect the LA press junket & conference will be the weekend of July 7-9 with the world premiere on the Sunday
What do you mean, "Stuff like set visits and editing room visits are separate special events"??

Are they not the same thing as long-lead 'events'?

talkshows part of this?

okungnyo wrote:
What do you mean, "Stuff like set visits and editing room visits are separate special events"??

Again, long lead refers to the sort of outlets these events are for. There are set visits and editing room visits for ALL types of press, that wouldn't be a long lead event - like the WW editing room visits or the Spidey set visits. If there's either of these as part of a junket for long lead outlets then they're part of it.

@Nomis I guess so but with so many to track maybe a separate thread for talk shows would be better? This is for WB-hosted stuff.

Oku
antovolk wrote:
okungnyo wrote:

Again, long lead refers to the sort of outlets these events are for. There are set visits and editing room visits for ALL types of press, that wouldn't be a long lead event - like the WW editing room visits or the Spidey set visits. If there's either of these as part of a junket for long lead outlets then they're part of it.

@Nomis I guess so but with so many to track maybe a separate thread for talk shows would be better? This is for WB-hosted stuff.
I'm still confused as heck, but OK. :ninja:

Updated OP with the New York Lincoln Centre screening/Q&A and on special "world premiere" screening in Dunkirk itself

Sorry for double post, more details on that premiere in Dunkirk from that newspaper article:

- Happening on Sunday July 16 at the Ociné multiplex at Pôle Marine. All 15 screens will show the film simultaneously, so tickets should be available to the general public. At least one of the screens will have it in 70mm.
- London premiere is now official for July 13. (article says "shown in London three days earlier")
- The mayor wanted to install an IMAX in the Kursaal just for the premiere (like IMAX have done previously at the Vienna Opera House for MI:GP and the Beijing Water Cube for Rogue One), Nolan vetoed the decision.
- Guest list TBC but Nolan and some of the actors are expected to attend.
- Expected to be the 'biggest' of the premieres (Nolan wants it that way), the mayor is saying it'll be 'more interesting' than the London premiere.
- There will be a series of events in the town on the day connected to the premiere "to remind people of Operation Dynamo".
Last edited by antovolk on June 21st, 2017, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

So... Will the film have subtitles or is it entirely in French lol

Nomis wrote:So... Will the film have subtitles or is it entirely in French lol
Probably subtitles.

Oku
antovolk wrote:Sorry for double post, more details on that premiere in Dunkirk from that newspaper article:

- Happening on Sunday July 16 at the Ociné multiplex at Pôle Marine. All 15 screens will show the film simultaneously, so tickets should be available to the general public.
- London premiere is now official for July 13. (article says "shown in London three days earlier")
- The mayor wanted to install an IMAX in the Kursaal just for the premiere (like IMAX have done previously at the Vienna Opera House for MI:GP and the Beijing Water Cube for Rogue One), Nolan vetoed the decision.
- Guest list TBC but Nolan and some of the actors are expected to attend.
- Expected to be the 'biggest' of the premieres (Nolan wants it that way), the mayor is saying it'll be 'more interesting' than the London premiere.
- There will be a series of events in the town on the day connected to the premiere "to remind people of Operation Dynamo".
Link to article?

And why did he veto it?

It's heartwarming to hear that they won't be forgotten and get to have the biggest of the premieres.