Dunkirk Screenplay

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
Thanks.

I have not read the whole screenplay but there are two things I noticed about Gibson...
1. The screenplay says the water rushing into the boat is what kept Gibson away from the exit. Nothing about any chains.

2. In the discussion part, Nolan says he originally planned for Gibson to be the soldier out of breath under the burning water, but he thought that was too cruel and too much like a political statement.
And the screenplay is well worth what I spent (which I believe was more than the $8.99 the US Kindle version is currently listed for). It is super useful to be able to access it from anywhere with the Kindle Cloud Reader and also to be able to search it.

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:I have not read the whole screenplay but there are two things I noticed about Gibson...
1. The screenplay says the water rushing into the boat is what kept Gibson away from the exit. Nothing about any chains.

2. In the discussion part, Nolan says he originally planned for Gibson to be the soldier out of breath under the burning water, but he thought that was too cruel and too much like a political statement.
And the screenplay is well worth what I spent (which I believe was more than the $8.99 the US Kindle version is currently listed for). It is super useful to be able to access it from anywhere with the Kindle Cloud Reader and also to be able to search it.
Curious, how would having Gibson be the one out of breath under the burning water be a political statement?

I tried reading that part of the screenplay, but it didn't help.

How was that PDF made? There are multiple mistakes in there.

okungnyo wrote:
Curious, how would having Gibson be the one out of breath under the burning water be a political statement?

I tried reading that part of the screenplay, but it didn't help.
I guess because he would be burning the one French guy.

Oku
So as in like, Mr. Nolan wanted to avoid people taking that as his crucifying/blaming the French for what happened?

It sure is a very cruel death, but it would've had a different effect on the people. I'm neutral about it though. I'm still sad Gibson didn't make it.

okungnyo wrote:
So as in like, Mr. Nolan wanted to avoid people taking that as his crucifying/blaming the French for what happened?
In the screenplay Nolan says "it felt cruel. It felt like an anti-war statement. And the film is intended to be neutral." I know no more than that.