Dunkirk Screenplay

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
dormouse7 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
So as in like, Mr. Nolan wanted to avoid people taking that as his crucifying/blaming the French for what happened?
In the screenplay Nolan says "it felt cruel. It felt like an anti-war statement. And the film is intended to be neutral." I know no more than that.
Yeah, I'm just asking for your own opinion. :lol:
In what way do you think changing the character that burns alive from Gibson to the Highlander depoliticizes the death?

dormouse7 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
So as in like, Mr. Nolan wanted to avoid people taking that as his crucifying/blaming the French for what happened?
In the screenplay Nolan says "it felt cruel. It felt like an anti-war statement. And the film is intended to be neutral." I know no more than that.
Doesn't surprise me. Nolan seems to prefer avoiding politics -- which honestly is one of the big reasons I respect him.
He doesn't spout off or anything -- just makes cinema for cinema's sake.

okungnyo wrote:
In what way do you think changing the character that burns alive from Gibson to the Highlander depoliticizes the death?
He's burning one of Alex's own regiment (played well by Brian Vernel), not the outsider. He considers that neutral. I do not understand why he thought burning Gibson would be like an anti-war statement but burning Brian is not. I think most depictions of war are like anti-war statements. Hopefully nobody who sees Dunkirk would think "Hey this was good - let's do this again". And - I think his first reason made more sense - it was too cruel an end for a character that viewers were meant to like. Guess that's the difference between Nolan and George R.R. Martin.

dormouse7 wrote:I think most depictions of war are like anti-war statements. Hopefully nobody who sees Dunkirk would think "Hey this was good - let's do this again".
I feel terrible for laughing at this :lol:

But nah. Plenty of films (maybe nowadays less?) have carried a subtle (or not so much) pro war stance. Maybe not in a way of "hey war is cool let's cause one and kill tons of people", but film has always been used as means of propaganda for lots and lots of things, war included.

I'm really glad this film steered away from glorifying both war and the military.

You can't really make an anti-war statement in a movie about the Allies defendig against the Nazis.

Oku
After several viewings, I suddenly noticed that we don't see Colonel Winnant's face when he says "Officer coming through, move yourselves, move yourselves!".

So I wondered if it that line had been added later.

Turns out, yeah, that line is not in the script. :)

Finally 8-)

Any chance someone could post the Jonah/Chris convo?

Sky007 wrote:
August 30th, 2017, 4:15 pm
Any chance someone could post the Jonah/Chris convo?
Ebooks don't get you copy large amounts. Kindle ebooks let you highlight small amounts then access them in your account with bibliography info for reports.

The Kindle screenplay ebook is inexpensive and Amazon offers free ereader software for all major platforms. In some countries (including US), a Kindle Cloud Reader for reading/searching your purchased ebooks online.
https://www.amazon.com/Dunkirk-Christop ... 073VNL1F2/

Also, in the US at least, you can read a lot of the Nolans interview with Amazon's Look Inside feature for the ebook.