Trailer #4

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I do think for North American audience the trailer needs to explain the Dunkirk event. I think a lot of domestic audiences still does not what Dunkirk is after watching the trailer. All these videos say when "400,000 men could not get home, home came to them" Instead of simply saying that Dunkirk was an evacuation event during world war 2 that it takes in France, Dunkirk is taught in US schools so having trailer or TV spot explain that to audience could help them understand

Would be a bit too on the nose to say stuff like that in trailers though.

That's why there's a recut version of the trailer airing in cinemas now during the anniversary of the evacuation - with "75 years ago...."

I doubt that movie trailers can seriously affect people's general unawareness of Operation Dynamo.

Oku
As I already said elsewhere, there are still people out there who think that Dunkirk is an island.

If this were any other filmmaker, I would say the best solution is to play an animation at the start of the film where they show the Earth and then slowly zoom into France, then show an animated trajectory of how the German forces routed the Allies and then raced north, trapping them in Dunkirk.

But we know Mr. Nolan is adamant about not doing 'gimmicky' opening credits, so there needs to be another solution. But what other way is there?

There will be probably some dialogue explaining it. And by the way, you remember the pamflets the Germans dropped? You see those in the film...

okungnyo wrote:As I already said elsewhere, there are still people out there who think that Dunkirk is an island.

If this were any other filmmaker, I would say the best solution is to play an animation at the start of the film where they show the Earth and then slowly zoom into France, then show an animated trajectory of how the German forces routed the Allies and then raced north, trapping them in Dunkirk.

But we know Mr. Nolan is adamant about not doing 'gimmicky' opening credits, so there needs to be another solution. But what other way is there?
Maybe there will be an brief opening text that briefly gives a general overview of what's happened leading up to the events of the film, similar to what Black Hawk Down does. I guess the likelihood of Nolan doing something like that are slim, but if there were any movie of his where I could see it happening, it would be this one.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....if this will be Nolans first time where there will be historical text at the beginning. We will see in under two months time I guess.

If there's a new trailer with Transformers, when will we get confirmation? Next week?

Willem wrote:If there's a new trailer with Transformers, when will we get confirmation? Next week?
Confirmation next Monday (not tomorrow but week after) at the latest. Classification later this coming week.

omgg