Running time?

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Shady1 wrote:
Ruth wrote: literally no one ever asked if this was ww1, because everyone has already forgotten ww1 even happened
It's honestly a little sad that compared to WW2, WW1 gained a lot less "coverage" in movies, it's such an interesting and devastating point in history
We could say that about a lot of things - for instance, where's all the "coverage" of the extinction of thousands of Native American people and the subjugation of tribal lands?

Forgetting is what people do best.
I was just comparing the world wars ffs

Shady1 wrote:
Ruth wrote: literally no one ever asked if this was ww1, because everyone has already forgotten ww1 even happened
It's honestly a little sad that compared to WW2, WW1 gained a lot less "coverage" in movies, it's such an interesting and devastating point in history
We could say that about a lot of things - for instance, where's all the "coverage" of the extinction of thousands of Native American people and the subjugation of tribal lands?

Forgetting is what people do best.

Ruth wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:"God I'm so disappointed! A PG-13 war film that is under 2 hours! Ugh!"
"Unknown leads, WTF!"
"Harry Styles?"
"What is Dunkirk?"
"Is Dunkirk based on real events? Was America part of it?"
"It's not gonna be better than Saving Private Ryan."
"Is this WWI?"
literally no one ever asked if this was ww1, because everyone has already forgotten ww1 even happened
Actually, someone asked that in a reaction video of trailer #2 until he saw the planes :facepalm:
I agree with you. I myself don't know much about it!

the tickets for transformers 5 and spiderman homecoming are available in the Netherlands cinemas. I think the tickets for Dunkirk will be available in the end on june and begin july. Because i can buy now tickets for spiderman :P :P

hamido wrote:the tickets for transformers 5 and spiderman homecoming are available in the Netherlands cinemas. I think the tickets for Dunkirk will be available in the end on june and begin july. Because i can buy now tickets for spiderman :P :P
nice

okungnyo wrote:
Bacon wrote:Yeah, this has by far been the worst leadup to a Nolan film I've been a part of. A majority of this community inside this section is unbearable lol

You know it's bad when the majority of people on this site don't even come in here.
Those are very harsh words. Could you elaborate?

(I wasn't here for the leadups to The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, so I have no frame of comparison.)
Without whining: During TDKR, everyone was interested in everything about the film. Endless speculation on story, discussion on every detail of marketing, etc. Interstellar was similar. But with Dunkirk, the discussion seems to only be random updates on Harry Styles (relating or not even relating to the film) or people repeating what they've been saying for weeks. I don't know how to phrase it, but the energy and anticipation seems to be off for this film. It's always like the same 4 members going in circles. I like posting in this thread because it reminds me of old times with other films, but it's getting to be uninteresting in here. I can't put my finger on it. I'll try to do it if I get the right words that won't anger people.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
Ruth wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:"God I'm so disappointed! A PG-13 war film that is under 2 hours! Ugh!"
"Unknown leads, WTF!"
"Harry Styles?"
"What is Dunkirk?"
"Is Dunkirk based on real events? Was America part of it?"
"It's not gonna be better than Saving Private Ryan."
"Is this WWI?"
literally no one ever asked if this was ww1, because everyone has already forgotten ww1 even happened
Actually, someone asked that in a reaction video of trailer #2 until he saw the planes :facepalm:
Wow.
Yeah, I guess compared to the Second World War, the first one may not seem as interesting or stereotypically heroic even, as it doesn't really fit into the traditional psychotic evil power seeks to reign over the world narrative, where there was a pretty clear line on who was the real enemy (like Hitler or Stalin). I've seen some people even call it a pointless war (but then again, which war isn't?). But it's such an interesting period of history, I kind of want to read more upon it when I have more free time. And ofc, it caused WWII, so lol...

Bacon wrote:Yeah, this has by far been the worst leadup to a Nolan film I've been a part of. A majority of this community inside this section is unbearable lol

You know it's bad when the majority of people on this site don't even come in here.
A big reason this based on a historical event. So there is no big speculation on what the story will be about or what the filming locations will be. It would be like that if Nolan's next film is a biopic. When you can look up or already know about the event there is much less to talk about it.

Bacon wrote:
okungnyo wrote:

(I wasn't here for the leadups to The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, so I have no frame of comparison.)
Without whining: During TDKR, everyone was interested in everything about the film. Endless speculation on story, discussion on every detail of marketing, etc. Interstellar was similar. But with Dunkirk, the discussion seems to only be random updates on Harry Styles (relating or not even relating to the film) or people repeating what they've been saying for weeks. I don't know how to phrase it, but the energy and anticipation seems to be off for this film. It's always like the same 4 members going in circles. I like posting in this thread because it reminds me of old times with other films, but it's getting to be uninteresting in here. I can't put my finger on it. I'll try to do it if I get the right words that won't anger people.
I joined this site during the TDKR-hype and it was the shit, Interstellar hype was pretty good too but not as good as TDKR. However, I don't think the weird anticipation with Dunkirk has so much to do with the quality of posting or people discussing it but more to do with the nature/content and cast of the film itself. TDKR was a comic book movie and a direct follow-up to the enormously successful TDK, while Interstellar was a massive Hollywood sci-fi project waiting to happen, and it was during the McConaissance. Whereas Dunkirk is a WW2 (but non-typical war movie) thriller/drama based on real events, with no clear plot, only a handful of famous actors and a bunch of young, unknown actors at the helm.

Oku
Bacon wrote:
okungnyo wrote:

Pretty much what the two users above me said.

It's a true story so there can't be sci-fi speculation, and the thousand of set photos being taken due to it being a public production (as oppposed to Interstellar, which was partlyfilmed in sound stages in such) means there can't be meaningful plot speculation.
Ruth wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:
Ruth wrote:literally no one ever asked if this was ww1, because everyone has already forgotten ww1 even happened
Wow.
Yeah, I guess compared to the Second World War, the first one may not seem as interesting or stereotypically heroic even, as it doesn't really fit into the traditional psychotic evil power seeks to reign over the world narrative, where there was a pretty clear line on who was the real enemy (like Hitler or Stalin). I've seen some people even call it a pointless war (but then again, which war isn't?). But it's such an interesting period of history, I kind of want to read more upon it when I have more free time. And ofc, it caused WWII, so lol...
I've seen a couple of reaction videos (the ones with 10,000+ views anyway) and quite a few of them think that Dunkirk is an island.

One of them even misunderstood the trailer as the people of Dunkirk going to an island, not going to Dunkirk.

...yeah.

It's shocking, but that's how it is. If it doesn't involve America, the majority of Americans just do not care, and have no desire to spend even five minutes skimming the Wikipage page before making fools of themselves on camera.