Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.
User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3044
Joined: May 2012
Sanchez wrote:Dunkirk isn't mentioned in Mark Kermode's top 10 list. That's disappointing.
Unsubscribed, blocked, and reported :judge:
Yes, I'm joking!

Posts: 580
Joined: May 2017
Location: San Bruno, CA
Re: Oscar bait talk

What people don't realize is that "Oscar bait" films aren't released in November and December (if only limited) so they have a better chance at winning Oscar awards; it's that they feel their movies are so good that as long as it gets Oscar-like attention, they want to reap the benefits and get people to go to the theater.

I wouldn't think twice about going to some of the potential Oscar nominees if they were released in March and April, not because they aren't good but because there wouldn't be any Oscar hype surrounding it because it's not during the season. Note that they would still be nominees by the time the season rolls around, but they won't generate more box-office revenue because people didn't go while it was hyped to be what it might deserve to win.

For example, if Lady Bird or something sweeps the Oscars, it would have still swept the Oscars if it was released in March. It would see significantly lower box office numbers, though. Case in point, I wonder if Interstellar made as much money as it did strictly because of possible Oscar hype, or if it was more because it was Nolan (and a good film, etc.).

Posts: 312
Joined: July 2017
Sanchez wrote:Dunkirk isn't mentioned in Mark Kermode's top 10 list. That's disappointing.
That's funny. He said something like it's the quintessential war film. So either 2017 had absolutely amazing movies, or war films universally suck.

Posts: 900
Joined: June 2012
Kermode listed Dunkirk as an honorable mention in his year-end write up for The Guardian, but yeah it didn't crack the top 10 for him.

Posts: 10918
Joined: February 2011
It's a pretty weird situation, Debruge gave Dunkirk a perfect score and called it a cinematic achievement, while giving Get Out a 9/10. Now guess which one of those titles ended up in his top ten list.£

Posts: 356
Joined: November 2014
Master Virgo wrote:It's a pretty weird situation, Debruge gave Dunkirk a perfect score and called it a cinematic achievement, while giving Get Out a 9/10. Now guess which one of those titles ended up in his top ten list.£
Ah politics. It's such a silly thing isn't it?
:facepalm:

EDIT: Just checked, Dunkirk didn't even make his "honorable mention." Wtf?

Posts: 489
Joined: December 2012
Location: The Endurance
He praised it a lot in his review for it, iirc

I think it's one of those cases where you appreciate something a lot for its accomplishments and the effort behind it, but you're actually not a fan of it personally

Posts: 356
Joined: November 2014
Bale Fan wrote:He praised it a lot in his review for it, iirc

I think it's one of those cases where you appreciate something a lot for its accomplishments and the effort behind it, but you're actually not a fan of it personally
Then he should call it a list of his "Favorite movies of 2017"... not the "Best." (Unless I misread it...also this criticism applies to all critics who make these "best of 20xx" lists).

Also the USA Today guy left Dunkirk off his top 10...
But included Spider-Man Homecoming and Lego:Batman......

Posts: 312
Joined: July 2017
nightfury93 wrote:Also the USA Today guy left Dunkirk off his top 10...
But included Spider-Man Homecoming and Lego:Batman......
Wew.

Posts: 900
Joined: June 2012

Post Reply