Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
While I agree Nolan was smart for doing that, it wouldn't really make sense for these slower, artsy films to come out in the middle of the summer. I prefer having films like Phantom Thread and Shape of Water being later in the year, separated from the superhero/summer blockbuster action stuff.

Granted, the superhero genre seems to be permeating every month nowadays.

Allthough I do agree movies like that shouldn't come out in the summer, I still feel like they could stretch out a little bit more. This October has been completely awful for cinema (except for Blade Runner), while in December there are like 10+ movies coming out that want take a shot at the major awards. I understand why they do it, but as a film fan in a small country, it's rough not getting to watch some of these great movies until like February/March because of their narrow release. Even if I lived in LA I probably couldn't afford/have time to see all of them in November and December.

It's not great for the consumers.

Not buzz necessarily, but I noticed that the New Beverly is having Dunkirk on a double feature with Enzo Castellari's Battle Command tomorrow night. So I guess that's a good assumption that Quentin Tarantino's a fan of the film.

http://thenewbev.com/wp-content/uploads ... -FINAL.jpg

Ace

Like many filmmakers with a new film in 2017, “Blade Runner 2049” director Denis Villeneuve saw virtually none of his peers’ movie this year. Yet this summer, while neck deep trying to finish his “Blade Runner” sequel, there was one film Villeneuve made sure not to miss. “‘Dunkirk’ has been designed for the big screen,” said Villeneuve in an interview with IndieWire. “I didn’t want to make any concession with that movie.”

Villeneuve is a cinephile whose influences run vast and run deep, yet when asked what filmmaker’s career he looks to as model when thinking about his own career trajectory he turned to one of his contemporaries. “Christopher Nolan is a very impressive filmmaker, because he is able to keep his identity and create his own universe in that large scope,” he said. “To bring intellectual concepts and to bring them in that scope to the screen right now — it’s very rare. Every movie that he comes out with, I have more admiration for his work.”
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/denis- ... 201904623/

Sanchez wrote:Nolan just casually makes a masterpiece and doesn't spend a single though on awards during the production, but decides to promote it as an Oscar candidate after he sees how it's recieved. Wish everyone did this so November and December wasn't stacked with Oscar bait.
What's funny is that when he made Interestellar and released it in November, when the most it felt that he may be trying to Oscar-bait, he failed immensely. While I like Interstellar, the whole "love" theme in the movie felt forced and fell foat on its face.

Dunkirk isn't mentioned in Mark Kermode's top 10 list. That's disappointing.

Oku
Sanchez wrote:Dunkirk isn't mentioned in Mark Kermode's top 10 list. That's disappointing.
Unsubscribed, blocked, and reported :judge:
Yes, I'm joking!