Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
AhmadAli95 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm
I'm not criticizing Nolan but another writer or director would have focused a bit more on a female character, like sometimes I'm curious: What happened to the nurses? Did any of them survive the capsizing ship? It would've been nice to see follow a nurse through these events just like we followed Tommy and other characters.

But the thing is, it shouldn't be an obligation to include those elements just because the political and social climate dictates it. It's a movie. It's great that a lot of movies are tackling current issues that are very important but I want movies to be judged purely as art and not as political statements.
Not sure about your first statement, but yeah. Basically people lost their shit after some of us suggested it wouldn't have hurt the film had he included more varied characters in Funkirk. Like god forbid there's a black or an Indian guy lol. Or a nurse. That would've been historically accurate, just as it still is accurate the way he did it. By no means it's a criticism of the film or Nolan himself, it's more of a "what if" kind of thing.

As an artist, he indeed isn't obliged to do things the way others want though. It's impossible to portray and dedicate enough time to everything in a movie, and if that's the kinda picture he imagined, than it's cool. It's just hilarious some people really couldn't handle the fact that females and non white minorities had a strong impact in WWII and Dunkirk itself very well.

edit: lol typo

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:03 pm
AhmadAli95 wrote:
I'm not criticizing Nolan but another writer or director would have focused a bit more on a female character
What a generalizing statement.
Ruth wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:25 pm
Not sure about your first statement, but yeah.
Might have chosen the wrong words. I meant a director with a different vision than Nolan's. If I received the script and was tasked with directing, I definitely would've focused on one of the nurses. I don't know if that made it any better lol. You'll have to cut me some slack.

I agree with you, Ruth. I think it would've been interesting to see bigger roles for POC and women in Dunkirk but not because of backlash (or to avoid controversy) but because they have interesting stories that are worth telling.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
But the thing is, it shouldn't be an obligation to include those elements just because the political and social climate dictates it. It's a movie. It's great that a lot of movies are tackling current issues that are very important but I want movies to be judged purely as art and not as political statements.
Exactly how I felt during the Academy night, it often felt like it was not about the art of the film.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
I'm not criticizing Nolan but another writer or director would have focused a bit more on a female character
lolwut

Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm
AhmadAli95 wrote:
lolwut
I've explained myself but you chose to ignore that explanation, so I'll try again:

If a different director received the screenplay or the pitch of a movie like Dunkirk, and had a different vision to how they'll approach it than Nolan's, do you think they're going to focus only on the soldiers? I don't think so. There must be some really interesting stories involving nurses on Dunkirk beach. Nolan had a very specific vision to the movie and I respect that but it could've included a bit more of the nurses perspective and it wouldn't have hurt the film in any way but he didn't because that's not how he envisioned it. Clear now? Am I wrong?

Forum Pro
AhmadAli95 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 3:35 am
Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm
AhmadAli95 wrote:
lolwut
...but it could've included a bit more of the nurses perspective and it wouldn't have hurt the film in any way but he didn't because that's not how he envisioned it. Clear now? Am I wrong?
That's not the movie he wanted to make.

Ace
From a Q&A with Burt Reynolds
An audience member asked Reynolds about recent films he admires. "Dunkirk is amazing," he said. Then he teared up, remembering his father's WWII service. "I know I'm supposed to be tough, but I can cry sometimes," he said... (Or something along those lines...)
https://twitter.com/tomilaffly/status/9 ... 81120?s=21

That one above is a nice one.

---

Holly Rusak (Journalist. Sci-Fi geek. Whovian. Cinephile. Bibliophile. Technophile. Solver of problems. Homepage/social producer @dallasnews.)
‏Verified account @hollyrusak
22h 22 hours ago
https://twitter.com/hollyrusak/status/9 ... 6823008257
Finally watching @dunkirkmovie and MAN, Harry Styles is a dick. (Personally, I’m sure he’s lovely. But on Dunkirk? Dick.)
21h 21 hours ago
https://twitter.com/hollyrusak/status/9 ... 9051875328
Very belatedly we finished #OscarWatch #9 with @dunkirkmovie. So that was only the second Oscar film to make me cry this year.

Why the fuck isn't Dunkirk in 4K? :lol: