Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Frankthetank wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 12:43 am
“It’s very male...” really? Also watching it on an airplane? Its depressing to think of how many people watched this on an airplane, and more than any other film I think it hurts it the most.
This whole long thread of tweets (mainly between a female journalist and a female author) is very down on Dunkirk for being all male.

dormouse7 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 10:35 am
Frankthetank wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 12:43 am
“It’s very male...” really? Also watching it on an airplane? Its depressing to think of how many people watched this on an airplane, and more than any other film I think it hurts it the most.
This whole long thread of tweets (mainly between a female journalist and a female author) is very down on Dunkirk for being all male.
Jesus can't we just go back to judging films on their own merits rather than how many identity group check-boxes it achieves?

Ultimately all these senseless whinings due to 2017 effect will serve a good cause and they will raise more sensitivity about the matter of inclusivity in the future mainstream cinema, but movies like Dunkirk will unfortunately be hurt in the process.£

I still find it somewhat of a miracle that Dunkirk managed to be as well received as it was. The "backlash" (if you can even call it that) could have been much worse, so it speaks volumes about Nolan's achievement.

Lionheart wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 10:42 am
If she lacks empathy for human emotion because of the gender, i think she can get recognized as a sociopath.
i actually was tempted to type this out as a reply to her "discussion" thread

jfc I'm a grill and even I want to smash any woman "critics" in the face when they bring up things like this

The bit with nurses is legit imo and it's been discussed in the past, along with racial inclusivity (or the lack of it) in Dunkirk, but I think it's deleted now. I'm not pissed AT ALL Dunkirk didn't portray everything, because that's impossible, but it's important to acknowledge that it totally could have and it wouldn't have hurt the film. That's all.

But the rest is... kinda bullshit? Empathy is universal and if you're so selective about it, then it's your problem, imo. Idk if it was just the broadcast I was watching, but there was an excerpt of Kumail Nanjiani making a great point yesterday when talking about representation, saying something along the lines of how it shouldn't be a problem for white men to relate to characters of different race/gender in film, because he's done it his entire life. You can absolutely feel empathic for these young lads on a simply human level.

Anyway, should we also look down on the efforts and sacrifices of soldiers in WWII too, because back then more women (than we would want) were "handing out sandwiches"? That's a bit extreme, but if you strip away the filmmaking bits off those tweets, it's basically what they read like.

I'm not criticizing Nolan but another writer or director would have focused a bit more on a female character, like sometimes I'm curious: What happened to the nurses? Did any of them survive the capsizing ship? It would've been nice to see follow a nurse through these events just like we followed Tommy and other characters.

But the thing is, it shouldn't be an obligation to include those elements just because the political and social climate dictates it. It's a movie. It's great that a lot of movies are tackling current issues that are very important but I want movies to be judged purely as art and not as political statements.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm
I'm not criticizing Nolan but another writer or director would have focused a bit more on a female character
What a generalizing statement.