Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote: I think it's fair to bring up Saving Private Ryan when talking about Dunkirk, since that's the obvious comparison that everyone will jump to.
If it's in a positive manner, yeah. Saw a YouTube review this evening where the guy said it was like a combination of Fury Road and Private Ryan. Sounds pretty dang awesome to me.

Sharkboy wrote:
GamingFreak wrote:
radewart wrote:The blowback may be starting a little bit with the blogger/journalist who are seeing the movie later than others

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status ... 6927181824

"In all seriousness though, DUNKIRK caters to Nolan's strengths & also shows his weaknesses. Bravura filmmaking but still cold. Not his best."

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/887161888039084032

"Dunkirk is cinematically stunning and intense BUT I found the structure so needlessly confusing that I never got into the movie."
Those two guys don't write reviews though. So their opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Why? Because their opinion isn't highly positive?
No. Neither of them actually write reviews for the blogs. Slashfilm have a set of critics who write reviews. And Sneider is a reporter who brings scoops. I'll prefer to wait for full reviews before calling it the start of a backlash.

I think Sneider really enjoyed it, just doesn't think it's a masterpiece. I don't think anyone should use that word after a single viewing or even after a few viewings. These things should be sorted out over time since that's the ultimate judge.
Jeff Sneider‏
@TheInSneider

I'd recommend seeing DUNKIRK on the biggest screen possible. I saw in IMAX and was enveloped by the image. It's REALLY good, just no M-word.

11:05 PM - 17 Jul 2017

AADowd‏ @AADowd
DUNKIRK is pretty remarkable. Stunning wartime imagery married to a chronology as complex, in its own way, as MEMENTO's or THE PRESTIGE's.

Keith Phipps‏ @kphipps3000
Was so impressed by DUNKIRK's structure that I didn't start texting when all the strands came together, unlike the person next to me. Anyway, it's a remarkable movie that's jarring and moving in ways I wouldn't have expected.

Was so impressed by DUNKIRK's structure that I didn't start texting when all the strands came together, unlike the person next to me. Anyway, it's a remarkable movie that's jarring and moving in ways I wouldn't have expected.
Huge spoiler about the structure of the film. Sounds like all three perspectives will be separate until they collide in a climax. Previously all we knew was there were different perspectives cutting between.

Geoffrey wrote:Huge spoiler about the structure of the film. Sounds like all three perspectives will be separate until they collide in a climax. Previously all we knew was there were different perspectives cutting between.
Don't read into the tweet too much.

https://twitter.com/firstshowing/status ... 5870486528
Alex Billington‏ @firstshowing
I honestly wasn't sure if I would say this but Dunkirk joins the ranks of the best WWII movies ever. And is definitely one of Nolan's best.
I'm glad he liked it, he's a big Nolan fan.

Can we not post critic’s tweets/reactions anymore in this thread, since the embargo lifted I feel that’s pretty redundant. Put that stuff in the official reviews discussion thread if necessary, otherwise let's just stick with industry and celebrities' reactions from now on.

Ya, too much noise. Let's keep it to Celeb/Filmmaker tweets.