TV Spots

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

July 16. That's the Sunday before Dunkirk's opening Friday, July 21.

And HBO and Warner Bros. are both owned by Time Warner...

Do you see where I'm going with this??

There's going to be a huge audience tuning in to the season premiere--an audience that loves GoT's serious tone and epic scale, both things that Dunkirk will offer.

It would be a perfect opportunity for a Dunkirk TV spot to be aired then.

Or heck, go all out--maybe an entire two-minute trailer, or even a five-minute featurette.

Who else agrees? :D

But its HBO and a lot of people dont get hbo, so seems like it wouldn't reach a large audience, not as much as prime time standard channels anyway

okungnyo wrote:So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

There's going to be a huge audience tuning in to the season premiere--an audience that loves GoT's serious tone and epic scale, both things that Dunkirk will offer.

Or heck, go all out--maybe an entire two-minute trailer, or even a five-minute featurette.

They don't air tv spots for random upcoming movies on HBO. Spots will commence very soon and by july there will already be enough of them to make us sick.

Oku
Shady1 wrote:But its HBO and a lot of people dont get hbo, so seems like it wouldn't reach a large audience, not as much as prime time standard channels anyway
Yeah, but target audience overlap is more important than pure audience numbers.

Put it this way, if you were a candy company, would you air your ad to the channel that has 100 million adult viewers, or 10 million children viewers?
genloovers wrote:
okungnyo wrote:So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

They don't air tv spots for random upcoming movies on HBO. Spots will commence very soon and by july there will already be enough of them to make us sick.
They could possibly make an exception, for the reasons I listed in the original post.

okungnyo wrote:
Shady1 wrote:But its HBO and a lot of people dont get hbo, so seems like it wouldn't reach a large audience, not as much as prime time standard channels anyway
Yeah, but target audience overlap is more important than pure audience numbers.

Put it this way, if you were a candy company, would you air your ad to the channel that has 100 million adult viewers, or 10 million children viewers?
genloovers wrote:

They could possibly make an exception, for the reasons I listed in the original post.
Dude, they would accomplish nothing by airing spots on HBO. They air spots on local stations and cable which reaches just about every demographic there is out there.

Oku
genloovers wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Yeah, but target audience overlap is more important than pure audience numbers.

Dude, they would accomplish nothing by airing spots on HBO. They air spots on local stations and cable which reaches just about every demographic there is out there.
All right, all right. Dreams crushed.

Game of Thrones has decent viewership - had 8.9 million for last season's finale. However, I don't know if it has ads.

For comparison, example viewers for a May week, the top viewed in the US were:
1. CBS’s “NCIS” 14.16 million; 2. NBC’s “This Is Us” 12.84 million; 3. NBC’s “The Voice-Monday” 12.18 million; 4. NBC’s “The Voice-Tuesday” 11.71 million; 5. CBS’s “60 Minutes” 10.85 million.

Doubt they'll show a spot on HBO, would be neat tho.

It's too soon but it would be nice to have a spot during SNL on April 15 when Harry's the musical guest.

I actually don't watch much network TV. I have no idea what would be a good US show for a TV spot. Most highly rated drama series seem to be on HBO.

Hmm....the SNL thing actually sounds good, but I don't think it will happen.

As a Millenial, I absolutely refuse to pay for cable/HBO. I've got a nice HDTVLeaf antenna and I get a bunch of network channels, but HBO can shove it.

(obviously, I speak for myself - I know lots of people dig HBO)