TV Spots

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
TeddyBlass wrote:The fact that McCrabb is clueless about this on twitter proves he's a fake, right?
He is fake. He tweeted few days ago that he was putting together something for CinemaCon and Nolan just showed the 5 minutes footage that had been out since December. :problem:

Hit twitter and just search #dunkirk - the Harry fans have taken care of us.

We may need Nolan to cast him in every film just so we can finally have decent coverage! :) :gonf:

Damn, consider me surprised. Seems like WB are really playing against type here and marketing this as anything but your typical war movie.

Now, why in the name of holy fuck they're actually taking links down? Not uploading online is one thing, but DMCAing every YouTube or other video upload of them, even just recordings off your TVs, is insane, if they've decided to air themselves on TV.

In any case, I suggest people help an eye on http://ispot.tv/ as I'm sure they'll have all the spots over the course of today. Unless Warners intervenes.

Oku
u2aerofan wrote:Hit twitter and just search #dunkirk - the Harry fans have taken care of us.

We may need Nolan to cast him in every film just so we can finally have decent coverage! :) :gonf:
Was the fan coverage not as good during Interstellar?

Did the TV spots even air this early (three months out) for Interstellar?
antovolk wrote:Damn, consider me surprised. Seems like WB are really playing against type here and marketing this as anything but your typical war movie.

Now, why in the name of holy fuck they're actually taking links down? Not uploading online is one thing, but DMCAing every YouTube or other video upload of them, even just recordings off your TVs, is insane, if they've decided to air themselves on TV.

In any case, I suggest people help an eye on http://ispot.tv/ as I'm sure they'll have all the spots over the course of today. Unless Warners intervenes.
Quoting myself from a few pages back:
My bet is that it's because airing a TV spot and putting it up on YouTube are on two entirely different levels of 'commitment', for the lack of a better word.

The first allows for a lot more leeway in terms of what they can get away with showing, whereas whatever they put up on YouTube will be disseminated and and every frame scrutinized for potential spoilers.

It's not like studios haven't not uploaded spots online though. Even with Interstellar, there are a more than a few spot variants that haven't made their way online in an official capacity. The odd thing is WB actively taking the links and uploads down as if it's a leak.

As for fan coverage during Interstellar, it was still good, but fandoms like the Harry Styles one take it to a whole other level that no other movie based fandom can do. (And we didn't get spots that early for Interstellar, the first ones for that aired in October)

I'm actually wondering why are there TV spots this early. We're still a bit less than 4 months away from the release. Don't TV spots usually air few weeks before the theatrical release?

That 45 sec TV spot is amazing BTW. :clap:

Mahiya_Borden wrote:I'm actually wondering why are there TV spots this early. We're still a bit less than 4 months away from the release. Don't TV spots usually air few weeks before the theatrical release?

Yes, them being this far out is VERY unusual. The only other case this year is Valerian but they were more to promote the release of the new trailer (they actually had the VO guy going "the Valerian Global Trailer Premiere is here). In this case I'd imagine it's part of WB really trying their best to promote it as an action thriller and not a war movie.

Oku
antovolk wrote:It's not like studios haven't not uploaded spots online though. Even with Interstellar, there are a more than a few spot variants that haven't made their way online in an official capacity. The odd thing is WB actively taking the links and uploads down as if it's a leak.
Yeah they do upload TV spots to YouTube, but that's when we're a lot closer to release, not three months out.

It's important at this point to whet people's appetites, but not give them a full meal because then they could go, "that was great! oh it's three months away? never mind, then, whatever..."

That's why WB doesn't want the TV spots spreading, because it wants to save that new footage for a new trailer.

(Now, if this had been a TV spot for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, it would have spread like wildfire and been reported by ever news site in existence already. But then again, you could say that Lucasfilm knows that and wouldn't not air a TV spot this early in the first place.)

If you search "dunkirk tv spots" right now, there's been zero coverage from news sites; only from dedicated fan sites like these forums and some Tumblr blogs.

The takedowns are working, so you can't blame WB for using them.
antovolk wrote:As for fan coverage during Interstellar, it was still good, but fandoms like the Harry Styles one take it to a whole other level that no other movie based fandom can do. (And we didn't get spots that early for Interstellar, the first ones for that aired in October)
Yeah, WB really seems to have faith in Dunkirk, which is a good sign.

I'm starting to believe that WB is expecting Inception-type numbers from this (I think I read that here, not sure).
antovolk wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:I'm actually wondering why are there TV spots this early. We're still a bit less than 4 months away from the release. Don't TV spots usually air few weeks before the theatrical release?

Yes, them being this far out is VERY unusual. The only other case this year is Valerian but they were more to promote the release of the new trailer (they actually had the VO guy going "the Valerian Global Trailer Premiere is here). In this case I'd imagine it's part of WB really trying their best to promote it as an action thriller and not a war movie.
Valerian recently aired a TV spot too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nliZja33d8

But I agree with your second point.

Saving Private Ryan changed the war movie genre so much that when people hear "war movie" these days, they automatically think, "rated R boring, depressing, gory drama", which Dunkirk absolutely is not.

It's great to see WB starting up its marketing engines to get that message out there.

Well shit, I'm eating crow. Genloovers was right! Props to him. And major props to everyone who caught and recorded them!

These TV spots are pretty damn great! So many money-shots, looks like a hell of a ride. To anyone who managed to record or download them in high quality, I'd highly appreciate if you could possibly send me a PM, please!