Cannes Film Festival

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
So what do you guys think, will this have a chance of participating this coming May?
Film takes place, and was shot in France. Not to mention the french media have been all over this film. By middle of May, Nolan should have this movie completely done. The more I think about it, the idea of it actually being there isn't completely unrealistic. It just depends on whether Nolan is comfortable with it or not.

Does Cannes have IMAX showings? I can't imagine Nolan would screen it in a non-IMAX theater for industry people.

I don't think Dunkirk will get a screening at Cannes. Also because there isn't an IMAX screen at Cannes.

Oku
Has a big-budget blockbuster ever premiered at a film festival two months before its wide release?

I think that only happens for indie films or Oscar hopefuls.

okungnyo wrote:Has a big-budget blockbuster ever premiered at a film festival two months before its wide release?

Gravity did.

Oku
Insomniac wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Has a big-budget blockbuster ever premiered at a film festival two months before its wide release?

Gravity did.
Well, color me sideways. (Is this even the right way to say this phrase? lol)

Guess we can't completely rule Cannes out then.

It's WAY too epic for Cannes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ons-977664
With the festival kicking off May 17, director Thierry Fremaux is in the process of assembling a lineup from among a wealth of upcoming films.
The 70th edition of the Cannes Film Festival doesn’t kick off until May 17, and festival director Thierry Fremaux’s annual big reveal is still two months off. But already the buzz is beginning to build about films that could be in the running as Fremaux surveys the latest offerings on the world cinema scene. Of course, there’s always a question of which films will be finished in time and how a possible Cannes invite would fit into international release plans. But, with those caveats in mind, here are some of the most promising films from which the Cannes lineup could emerge:

Dunkirk – Christopher Nolan

With its U.S. release not due until July 21, Warners may want to keep its powder dry for Nolan’s hotly anticipated all-star retelling of the famed 1940 WWII evacuation. But if it does come to the Croisette, expect absolute carnage. Two words: Harry Styles.
...it's on the list of potentials, so you never know

Insomniac wrote:

Gravity did.
Gravity was in Venice not Cannes.£

I think it would happen. And I'm rooting for this actually happening. And I really don't understand some people here who think that Nolan would prefer not to screen his film on the most prestigious film festival in the world just because they doesn't have IMAX. C'mon... do you really think like that?