Loading...
Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.

Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

Posts: 2448
Location: The Netherlands
Michaelf2225 wrote:this trend has very little to do with when films are released and almost everything to do with what films are released

I agree. I think that if the Best Picture winning films would've been released in the summer, a lot of them would still win. It's just a fact that 95% of the "Oscar-bait" and "Oscar-friendly" films are released in november/december.
Posts: 139
And why do you think they're released in November/December if the release date doesn't matter at all?
Oscar baits are released later in the year for a reason.
Posts: 468
Don't you just love blind negativity for no reason? :roll:
Posts: 2448
Location: The Netherlands
Darkline wrote:And why do you think they're released in November/December if the release date doesn't matter at all?
Oscar baits are released later in the year for a reason.

Maybe I should've said it a little different. The release date matters a bit, but at the end the film itself is more important. If the Academy loves Dunkirk more than any film released in Oscar season, why wouldn't it win?

However I think there is some political stuff involved too, but I'm not going to say anything about that because it isn't really predictable.
Posts: 139
willaartwillem wrote:
Darkline wrote:And why do you think they're released in November/December if the release date doesn't matter at all?
Oscar baits are released later in the year for a reason.

Maybe I should've said it a little different. The release date matters a bit, but at the end the film itself is more important. If the Academy loves Dunkirk more than any film released in Oscar season, why wouldn't it win?


Of course it can win. No one is saying it can't. But listen, there's a reason most of the movies that aim for Oscars get released so late in the year and that reason is they want to be fresh on Academy voters' mind when they pick winners.
It's the same with general marketing of movies: the promo starts/increases close to the premiere, because people have a short attention span and need to be reminded that they want to see the movie, even if they saw the teaser half a year ago and were impressed with it. People tend to forget.
So yeah, the release date plays not an insignificant part. Doesn't mean winning Oscars is impossible for Dunkirk, of course. It's just harder. Not impossible.
Posts: 24224
Location: A deep, dark pit of cynicism
Nolan has to actually make a decent flick first.
Posts: 431
It really comes down to the people that are voting. I believe the Globes has a committee of critics that vote on who gets nominated and who wins where as the Oscars has primarily actors and some directors voting (this is why films like Deadpool get at least *some* recognition at the Globes). Actors are obviously biased towards movies that feature more character work and more dramatic stories. The big spectacle films are just fighting an uphill battle at the Oscars because the people voting just care less about that stuff, unless it's so well done and so groundbreaking in it's presentation that they *have* to vote for it (Avatar, Titantic, Return of the King). I think Inception and Dark Knight deserved *at least* a best picture nom, but I guess it wasn't "actory" enough for the the Academy. Nolan has to make a character and story driven film to really gain the attention of the Academy to get nominated for the big categories and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Guy loves his sploizions, yo (I don't blame him).
Posts: 1624
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Reaveybeach wrote:It really comes down to the people that are voting. I believe the Globes has a committee of critics that vote on who gets nominated and who wins where as the Oscars has primarily actors and some directors voting (this is why films like Deadpool get at least *some* recognition at the Globes). Actors are obviously biased towards movies that feature more character work and more dramatic stories. The big spectacle films are just fighting an uphill battle at the Oscars because the people voting just care less about that stuff, unless it's so well done and so groundbreaking in it's presentation that they *have* to vote for it (Avatar, Titantic, Return of the King). I think Inception and Dark Knight deserved *at least* a best picture nom, but I guess it wasn't "actory" enough for the the Academy. Nolan has to make a character and story driven film to really gain the attention of the Academy to get nominated for the big categories and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Guy loves his sploizions, yo (I don't blame him).


Inception was nominated for best picture. It was snubbed in the best director category.
Posts: 769
Location: Norway
Also, the only reason Deadpool got more recognition at the Globes is because they have a separate category for comedies and musicals.
Posts: 264
Location: Limbo
I did remember telling my mother back when Nolan lost Best Director that he would only win an Oscar if he made a WW2 flick.
And here we are :lol:

GOD I'm still salty that he lost that year or didn't get nom for TDK :cry:
← Previous page Next page →
← Return to Dunkirk
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Eternalist and 5 guests.