Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It's gonna be rated rated R for... Strong language.

Tom Hardy says Nolan is making a classic film. This implies not R to me.
It’s a very profound story. What’s lovely about it is that it’s a classic film, it’s so epic in the storytelling, and Chris [Nolan] has gone back to an old school film from the 1940s, 1950s and retold it. Just being there, you can see the effort in this huge orchestration. I was just in my own play – I had limited exposure to cast and crew. And there was also a lot of pressure, in the same way. I grew up in the generation of their granddads talking about the war. Everyone was colored by that experience — Dunkirk was a big turning point in the war.

Hardy's part seems pretty small. I wonder if that means that he won't be used much for marketing and promoting the movie. I remember Nolan saying that part of the reason he didn't want to use Matt Damon to promote Interstellar was because it would have been misleading--people would have assumed he played a bigger role than he did.
It would be a pity if Tom doesn't do much promotion. He's the most well-known name on the cast.

Tom is pretty busy with Taboo. If they record season 2 around the same time of year as season 1, then Tom will be filming Taboo during the month (or more) leading up to the Dunkirk premiere.

Re the size of his part - the press releases applied "ensemble cast" to everyone (including specifically Hardy, Rylance, Branagh in the first press release). Technically that means roughly equal screen time, with Fionn Whitehead having more (singled out by position in second press release and called the star by Nolan). So Tom is not the lead but I expect him to have as much screen time as anyone but Fionn. Also, so far they seem to top-bill Hardy in press releases so I think he has a decent part.

I hope Tom can do promo - he's interesting in interviews. With his own project Taboo, maybe he would be more likely to do personal promo and discuss both Taboo and Dunkirk?

Darkline wrote:Hardy's part seems pretty small. I wonder if that means that he won't be used much for marketing and promoting the movie. I remember Nolan saying that part of the reason he didn't want to use Matt Damon to promote Interstellar was because it would have been misleading--people would have assumed he played a bigger role than he did.
It would be a pity if Tom doesn't do much promotion. He's the most well-known name on the cast.
Small? If he crash lands on the beach like the prologue suggests, his part would be pretty big.

Best picture winners until 2000 (and their releases):

2015 -- Spotlight -- 6 November 2015
2014 -- Birdman -- 17 October 2014
2013 -- 12 Years a Slave -- 8 November 2013
2012 -- Argo -- 12 October 2012
2011 -- The Artist -- 12 October 2012 (France)
2010 -- The King's Speech -- 6 September 2010
2009 -- The Hurt Locker -- 26 June 2009
2008 -- Slumdog Millionaire -- 12 November 2008
2007 -- No Country for Old Men -- 9 November 2007
2006 -- The Departed -- 6 October 2006
2005 -- Crash -- 6 May 2005
2004 -- Million Dollar Baby -- 15 December 2004
2003 -- TLotR: The Return of the King -- 17 December 2003
2002 -- Chicago -- 27 December 2002
2001 -- A Beautiful Mind -- 21 December 2001
2000 -- Gladiator -- 5 May 2000

Now, all Best Motion Picture nominated films (last five years):

2016:
Arrival (November), Fences (December), Hacksaw Ridge (November), Hell or High Water (August), Hidden Figures (December), La La Land (December), Lion (November), Manchester by the Sea (November), Moonlight (October)

2015:
The Big Short (December), Bridge of Spies (October), Brooklyn (November), Mad Max: Fury Road (May), The Martian (October), The Revenant (December), Room (October).

2014:
American Sniper (December), Boyhood (July), The Grand Budapest Hotel (March), The Imitation Game (November), Selma (December), The Theory of Everything (November), Whiplash (October).

2013:
American Hustle (December), Captain Phillips (October), Dallas Buyers Club (November), Gravity (November), Her (December), Nebraska (November), Philomena (November), The Wolf of Wall Street (December).

2012:
Armour (September), Beasts of the Southern Wild (June), Django Unchained (December), Les Miserables (December), Life of Pi (November), Lincoln (November), Silver Linings Playbook (November), Zero Dark Thirty (December).

Basically: being nominated with a summer release is certainly not impossible, neither is winning, but it does seem to be easier with an October/November/December release. Of course, the fact that most 'serious films' are released around that time and that summer releases tend to be more blockbusters that wouldn't get nominated anyway probably skew the results at least a bit.

Nice schedule! The King's Speech was released in september BTW, which is pretty early for an Oscar movie actually.

Thanks, nice.
So in 16 years only 3 spring/summer movies won the Best Picture. It's 18.75%. The odds are not very good but it's not impossible either. We shall see.

Oku
Darkline wrote:Thanks, nice.
So in 16 years only 3 spring/summer movies won the Best Picture. It's 18.75%. The odds are not very good but it's not impossible either. We shall see.
It means we're overdue, so it's a silver lining, at least.

this trend has very little to do with when films are released and almost everything to do with what films are released