Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
666kalpa wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 3:01 pm
I really liked the music that was played everytime dunkirk won or its clips were shown... does it belog to the soundtrack ? i guess i remember hearing a similar version..but this is diff ..isn't ?
I think the music was played by a live orchestra, that's why it sounded different.

666kalpa wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 3:01 pm
I really liked the music that was played everytime dunkirk won or its clips were shown... does it belog to the soundtrack ? i guess i remember hearing a similar version..but this is diff ..isn't ?
An orchestral rendtition of "The Mole". The strings = the siren/alarm but the brass accents don't belong to the score. I enjoyed it though.

As expected, Christopher Nolan’s spectacular action epic “Dunkirk” wound up with three technical awards for Sound Editing and Mixing and Editing. Finally, the World War II movie did not fit into any of the zeitgeist narratives. Too many people found it — and its filmmaker — too cold.
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/oscars ... 201935461/

Even with all the praise and recognition, this film is truly Nolan's most underappreciated film to date. With his previous films every time that any of them wasn't treated right during the awards season, there was alway some other corner that truly gave the film, its due appreciation.

With The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar he won the Empire Award and his films were the the top movies of the year according to IMDb users (The Prestige is very close), so he had the support of casual filmfans. Same with The Dark Knight which was also critics #1 movie of the year as well as highest grossing by far, it even managed to win the best directing in Cinephile Society Awards. And those snobs almost have no business with blockbusters.

Memento was #1 movie of the year alongside Mulholland Drive according to critics and it garnered a massive cult following among hardcore cinephiles and casual filmfans, again almost #1 on IMDb. Rises is also just a notch below #1. Begins is #1 on IMDb and both did well with Empire voters.

Dunkirk was not #1 anywhere. There are five more socially relevant films that critics preferred. No top place on IMDb, no nod from Empire, it was the obligatory nominee that wouldn't win anything important during the awards season. GA liked it but only so much. And for us spoiled Nolan fans that just doesn't do. This film really deserved a lot more.
£

#Oscars winners for #Dunkirk Richard King (sound editing), Mark Weingarten (mixing) and Gary A. Rizzo (mixing) visit @THR

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:00 pm
I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 10:31 am
Ruth wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 8:46 am

People are so extra. We spend the entire year prepping ourselves "the oscars are nothing!!" just in case, but in the end some still end up losing their shit.

I'd rather have a rich and decades long filmography from Nolan that would cement his status as one of the legendary filmmakers of the century, than know that he has the gold statue somewhere in his bathroom. Unless he reaaally wants it himself... which I'm not too sure he's even that bothered about it.
Actually he does care. In a recent interview, when being asked about how do you feel about not having a Director-nomination, he admited that he's kind of unsatisfied.
You got a source for that?
Ibhave the audio file here. He said that he's kind of unsatisfied and would appreciated if he got one (also state that he grew up watching Oscars) but after all he makes films not for the awards. May have misheard some points since I listened to the audio about 1 month ago

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:14 am
anikom15 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:59 am
There's an incredibly good chance I won't see a single film in 2018.

Cinema is dead.
LOL don't be silly. You can avoid the awards season if you want but to stop watching movies altogether? I mean the Oscars aren't the be-all and end-all of cinema.
I just mean there are literally no movies in 2018 I’m interested right now. I used to go to the movies several times a month. I went several times in 2017.

Personally I think Dunkirk dodged a bullett if you think about it. If the Shape of Water, a film about outcasts, loving who you want to love, and an ode to classic cinema, is already reiceving backlash..,I can only imagine the type of reception Dunkirk would be getting. Let some other movie take that heat, and stay in the shadows to be appreciated in the future, like every other Nolan movie

Master Virgo wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:29 pm
Even with all the praise and recognition, this film is truly Nolan's most underappreciated film to date. With his previous films every time that any of them wasn't treated right during the awards season, there was alway some other corner that truly gave the film, its due appreciation.

With The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar he won the Empire Award and his films were the the top movies of the year according to IMDb users (The Prestige is very close), so he had the support of casual filmfans. Same with The Dark Knight which was also critics #1 movie of the year as well as highest grossing by far, it even managed to win the best directing in Cinephile Society Awards. And those snobs almost have no business with blockbusters.

Memento was #1 movie of the year alongside Mulholland Drive according to critics and it garnered a massive cult following among hardcore cinephiles and casual filmfans, again almost #1 on IMDb. Rises is also just a notch below #1. Begins is #1 on IMDb and both did well with Empire voters.

Dunkirk was not #1 anywhere. There are five more socially relevant films that critics preferred. No top place on IMDb, no nod from Empire, it was the obligatory nominee that wouldn't win anything important during the awards season. GA liked it but only so much. And for us spoiled Nolan fans that just doesn't do. This film really deserved a lot more.
£

what's interesting is that according to metacritic top 10 rankings and criticstopten rankings, Dunkirk had far, far, far, far, far more support and raves and more "masterpieces" being thrown around and "best yet" type stuff than Shape of Water, Three Billboards, Phantom Thread, any of those movies.

And yet Dunkirk flopped on the critic circuit mostly (callout to Chicago's Critics for giving him best director), whereas those other movies swept their awards. a movie has a 'narrative' around it or it doesn't.

2017 was, frankly, just the wrong year for Dunkirk. It's also that this is a super cerebral movie (not really but it's 'labeled' that way) and in comparison to super warm melodrama-esque movies like Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Shape, and even Get Out... Dunkirk won't resonate in an emotional comparison let alone the political stuff going on.

-Vader

I feel like we say the same thing for every Nolan movie around awards season.
The thing though is that winning awards doesn't mean getting blank checks for your movies. Nolan manages to get that without any significant awards win. So personally I'm good with that. :gonf: