Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
In fact, I just rewatch some ceremonies that he won and he did the exactly same face :lol:

But not everyone watched him when he's winning, so it's easy to misplace his face with the losing face lol.

Bale Fan wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:36 am
I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:22 am
and when his name's brought up, he received the coldest reception. That's just sad.
I didn't watch it live and was planning to watch each category on Youtube or something. This makes me feel disappointed and don't want to watch the Director category. That's just disrespectful to the guy :blank: Poor Chris
I don't think it was intentional to diss him. He got polite applause, it just seemed slight compared to the large reaction for Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig

Damn if Nolan couldn't win an Oscar by making a WW2 film (and one of the best), what the hell can he do to get one now? XD

I guess he should tackle a progressive political thriller. Anyways, congrats to Nolan and his team :gonf: It's always fun to join in these Awards Season threads (been doing it since Inception), lets hope for some gold with his next film.

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:24 am
I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:22 am
Also his smug 'losing face' isn't doing him favors. He undoubtely didnt mean it, but it looked so disrespectful LOL
That wasn't his loosing face. He always looks like that. Doubt anyone will look at that footage and call him a cold person. Not everyone is filled with emotions.
Agreed. Nolan wasn't smug or 'losing face'. He looks like that all the time. I keep hearing this stuff about Nolan not being that well liked. Is that some industry thing or is it just some made up bs? I tend to think it's the latter. I've never heard anyone even anonymously say they don't like him. I hear actors say they would love to work for him and his director peers say they respect him and love his work.

brickarts295 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:48 am
Damn if Nolan couldn't win an Oscar by making a WW2 film (and one of the best), what the hell can he do to get one now? XD

I guess he should tackle a progressive political thriller.
but tbf said war film is also highly unconventional with few if any political messages

I'd rather he doesn't do any films just to appease the oscars tho. nolan is just not oscars material

There's an incredibly good chance I won't see a single film in 2018.

Cinema is dead.

anikom15 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:59 am
There's an incredibly good chance I won't see a single film in 2018.

Cinema is dead.
Just do what I do. See Nolan's movies and stream old films, whether they be from golden age Hollywood or foreign arthouse.

New movies are generally underwhelming, and I can't wait for the inevitability that is "Black Panther" getting 13 Oscar nominations next year.

Didn't Nolan have a great reception at the luncheon? Anyway, imagine the uproar if Dunkirk won BP after that trailblazer motage for equality? If that wasn't an obvious message... And come on, GDT's win was on lock considering he sweeped all the other awards.

So... Kobe Bryant has won more Oscars than Christopher Nolan.

I'm honestly quite pleased Dunkirk didn't win any of the "bigger" categories. There's always a built-in backlash for these things and it will hit The Shape of Water like a tsunami. It's ultimately always better to be a should-have-won. Now Nolan can go home and still feel like he's got something to prove.