Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
With the preferential ballot system and a year with this many favorites it could end up hurting it tbh. Enough for Del Toro to loose BD? I doubt it.

New attitude going forward.. being upset bc of an award is too exhausting; instead, every time dunkirk loses something, I’m going remind myself Nolan likes MacGruber :D

Good job making a video series debating positives and negatives about a movie with essentially two people who (pretty much) didn't like it. I usually like that guy's videos, but this one was awful.

Oscar Contenders’ Final Pitch: ‘Get Out’ Isn’t Just a Horror Hit, ‘Lady Bird’ Plays TimesUp Card

https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-contende ... ey-saying/

Nolan’s adventurous epic has already made almost $200 million at the box office, but the recent barrage of print ads, television spots and a lavish, slipcased 48-page booklet inserted into a Hollywood trade (because you can’t send it to Academy members) aren’t aimed at boosting the take.

Instead, the new materials all emphasize that this big hit is also the work of a true auteur. Producer Emma Thomas describes the film as an art movie in TV ads; in print, Warner Bros. prominently uses quotes like “Leave it to a filmmaking virtuoso at the peak of his powers to break new ground and all the rules” and “Like the most revolutionary movies, it has merely created a new storytelling vocabulary.”

The purpose is to tie the movie to the vision of one man — by the way, a man who’s been overlooked by the Oscars in the past — and to insist that indie movies don’t have a monopoly on artistry.

@postPerspective
Winner. #CASAwards. Sound Mixing-Motion Pictures Live Action. @dunkirkmovie! Production Mixer Mark Weingarten, CAS. Re-recording Mixers Gregg Landaker & Gary Rizzo, CAS.
Scoring Mixer Alan Meyerson, CAS.
ADR Mixer Thomas J. O’Connell. Foley Mixer Scott Curtis. @WarnerBrosEnt

Lol this movie's gonna get snubbed so hard in a week. Prepare for the disappointment.

Bacon wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 6:44 pm
Lol this movie's gonna get snubbed so hard in a week. Prepare for the disappointment.
Already resigned myself to it.

Shame though... Nolan should have swept this awards season with one hand behind his back. But, guess politics and brown-nosing supersedes quality.

Edit: Ideally, "Dunkirk" will at least win both sound awards. Maybe editing, though the BAFTA loss really makes me second-guess it since they've been spot-on in predicting editing as of late.

The only possible way Nolan would win is if people who've been voting McDonaugh for Best Director all go to Dunkirk over the competition.... but it's way too much of a long-shot to be feasible.

Del Toro will win for a mediocre science fiction film.

The fact that Desplat will probably win score and Dunkirk might lose editing and will probably lose cinematography is just baffling and embarrassing.

This is just another reason though for Paul Thomas Anderson, Jonny Greenwood, Christopher Nolan, Hans Zimmer, and co. to just keep doing what they're doing and ignore a possible desire to get recognition from the likes of the Academy.

Bacon wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 7:01 pm
The fact that Desplat will probably win score and Dunkirk might lose editing and will probably lose cinematography is just baffling and embarrassing.

This is just another reason though for Paul Thomas Anderson, Jonny Greenwood, Christopher Nolan, Hans Zimmer, and co. to just keep doing what they're doing and ignore a possible desire to get recognition from the likes of the Academy.
Agree.
I understood Desplat winning in 2014/2015 since he was overdue.... and at least I can remember some of his GBH score. His "Shape of Water" score is utterly forgettable (then again most of the movie is as well...
save for the fish-man banging
) Also sadly I could see both Hoytema AND Deakins losing to "Shape of Water" if it sweeps.

Oscars have always been political b.s., but this year honestly takes the cake. From what I've seen they're going to end up snubbing Dunkirk in favor of a bunch of mediocre and forgettable films that in no way live up to the hype people have set up for them. Completely, utterly, disgustingly embarrassing.

Honestly I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of watching older Oscar winners/nominees on TCM and whatnot, than any of the recent ones. Anyone looking for some good ones I just saw "Johnny Belinda" and "The Snake Pit"... both Best Picture nominees from 1948 and both EXCELLENT films.