Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

There are very very few things in this world more enjoyable than listening to Nolan talking about his films.£

Ikr, the guy is as much a wizard with words as he is with images.£

Reaveybeach wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:02 am
I find it odd how surprised everyone is by this. Dunkirk was a huge risk because Nolan assumed the lack of plot and character development (or just, characters) and a focus on pure survival and tension was enough to draw people in, it wasn't.
Didn't draw people in? It made over 5 times the production budget at the box office. That's one of the best ratios he has had of his big budget career (2005 to now).

It's also a July release with a Best Director nomination. Not easy to do and a pretty good result for a movie that "didn't draw people in."

redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 1:18 am
Reaveybeach wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:02 am
I find it odd how surprised everyone is by this. Dunkirk was a huge risk because Nolan assumed the lack of plot and character development (or just, characters) and a focus on pure survival and tension was enough to draw people in, it wasn't.
Didn't draw people in? It made over 5 times the production budget at the box office. That's one of the best ratios he has had of his big budget career (2005 to now).

It's also a July release with a Best Director nomination. Not easy to do and a pretty good result for a movie that "didn't draw people in."
I said it didn't draw *enough* people in with in relation to award ceremony voters. That it drew people in and that it was a success is obvious. Just not enough compared to it's competitors which had plot and characters.

Reaveybeach wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 10:47 am
I said it didn't draw *enough* people in with in relation to award ceremony voters. That it drew people in and that it was a success is obvious. Just not enough compared to it's competitors which had plot and characters.
I don't think Nolan ever intended for it to be an Oscar bait movie. He went all in with IMAX and a summer release because he was going more for blockbuster spectacle than anything else. The award nominations are just icing on the cake for Nolan and his crew members.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 11:06 am
Reaveybeach wrote:
I don't think Nolan ever intended for it to be an Oscar bait movie. He went all in with IMAX and a summer release because he was going more for blockbuster spectacle than anything else. The award nominations are just icing on the cake for Nolan and his crew members.
Of course it's not an Oscar-bait movie. But when it received positive reviews and considered an earrly Oscar contender, it would be foulish to say that Nolan didn't give a shit about the award. Sure he made the movies not because of the award, but when the chance came, I'm sure he was very serious.

Ace
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ssion=true
Interview with Emma Thomas.
...As the rare woman on a predominantly male set—as are most in Hollywood—Thomas has been reflecting on the industry’s response to the harassment and gender parity issues raised by #MeToo and Time’s Up. “As a producer, I’m a manager, aren’t I?” she said. “I’m no different than a manager in a bank or a paper clip-making factory. It’s my responsibility to create a workspace that’s safe for everybody, where people are treated with respect whether they’re women or men. As it relates specifically to the sexual harassment thing, I do think that the more women there are in a workplace, the less likely that is to happen. That’s something that is important going forward. It’s definitely something that I’m going to be looking at.”...

.Right now, that “rather more normal life” has involved watching a lot of Oscar contenders—Lady Bird was a favorite of Thomas’s, its portrait of the dramas of a mother-daughter relationship resonating with the mother of a 16-year-old girl. Looking forward, she said, Nolan has not decided on his next film. Thomas also declined to reveal which books she’s currently sliding onto her husband’s nightstand.

Reaveybeach wrote:
This is nothing but bs. If you look at all the past picture and director winners at the Oscars from post-LOTR and up until last year, only three movies made more money than Dunkirk worldwide: Gravity, Life of Pi and The Revenant. And only Gravity made more domestically. And I'm willing to bet money that if you take all the nominees in those categories for this entire century, Dunkirk is among the 10% highest grossing.

Academy voters didn't skip Dunkirk. It was the biggest frontrunner for winning BP for three months before people knew much about the other films. It was one of the first films to send out screeners, and WB made high quality discs to give voters the better experience. They've had multiple exclusive screenings for members of the Academy, and we've heard rumors of it getting standing ovations during those.

It not being the frontrunner has absolutely nothing to do with people not watching it. If you actually believe that, you're making excuses for yourself.
Last edited by Sanchez on February 16th, 2018, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.