Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Ace wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Also, it kind of sucks that Ava DuVernay really doesn't seem to like Nolan much.
What makes you say that?
Her reply to that first tweet I posted: https://twitter.com/ava/status/961866053381836805

It's not a big deal obviously, it just kind of caught me off guard.

Innovator wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Ace wrote:
Also, it kind of sucks that Ava DuVernay really doesn't seem to like Nolan much.
What makes you say that?
Her reply to that first tweet I posted: https://twitter.com/ava/status/961866053381836805

I guess she still thinks that Dunkirk it's not enough representative and inclusive.
If she calls him racist or something I just gonna...

natalie wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 2:06 pm
Innovator wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Ace wrote:

What makes you say that?

I guess she still thinks that Dunkirk it's not enough representative and inclusive.
If she calls him racist or something I just gonna...
If she's petty, I'm petty too, I have the choice not to watch her new movie at the theater lol

People thinking Dunkirk was not inclusive need to A. read up on their history and B. understand we're focusing on like 10 characters out of hundreds of thousands in tons of different locations.

Bacon wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 3:16 pm
People thinking Dunkirk was not inclusive need to A. read up on their history and B. understand we're focusing on like 10 characters out of hundreds of thousands in tons of different locations.
Actually, it's arguable that - yes, it's a "white film" - but more importantly it's a film about the HORROR of war - it's children fighting this war. There should have been more people of color in the film, probably. BUT Chris held open auditions for people. OPEN. People of color in France did not answer the call. He filmed on the very beach the even ttook place, and it was necessary to the story he do so. So if people of color in France weren't living near the location to answer the open call, what was he to do about that? I'm absolutely adovcating we should be more inclusive, but there is ZERO evidence that Chris is EXCLUSIVE of people. And his previous films show us repeatedly he values the work of actors of color and actively casts them. I'd like him to do more. But, as a woman, I'd also like to see Chris involve more women in his pics. Dunkirk had basically NO women in it. But Interstellar was CARRIED by Jessica Chastain and Anne Hathaway. So... I feel confident in saying Chris is actively conscious of making films involving many view points.

I'm just saying, I saw it with two of my friends (one's a huge history buff) and he found it accurate in being inclusive, pointing out that the French troops on the beach trying to get off the mole include many people of color. iirc French were much more respectful and encouraging to people of color in the war than the British.

After the open auditions for men and women, Dunkirk also had an audition specifically for men to play Indian and Senegalese soldiers (I think the black soldiers with the French probably represent Senegalese troops).

Wow - I just managed to find the original May 10, 2016 French casting notice:
https://www.facebook.com/cinemafigurati ... 9662724673

And I posted the text and link in the Casting topic so I can find it again.
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 0#p1160730
Last edited by dormouse7 on February 10th, 2018, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

I can just imagine the outrage on social media, as well as the inevitable think pieces that would be written, if Dunkirk actually won Best Picture. I don't see it happening.

Unfortunately, it seems to be The Shape of Water's to lose. It's not even del Toro's best film, though to be up front I'm not really a fan of his work. I respect him as a filmmaker and his love for the craft, but have little interest in the worlds he creates. It's just a shame to think a movie as beautiful as Dunkirk will get swept under the rug in favor of a fairly bland love story whose biggest saving grace is Sally Hawkins' performance. If not Dunkirk, at least give it to the more-deserving Lady Bird.

Hustler wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Unfortunately, it seems to be The Shape of Water's to lose. It's not even del Toro's best film, though to be up front I'm not really a fan of his work. I respect him as a filmmaker and his love for the craft, but have little interest in the worlds he creates. It's just a shame to think a movie as beautiful as Dunkirk will get swept under the rug in favor of a fairly bland love story whose biggest saving grace is Sally Hawkins' performance. If not Dunkirk, at least give it to the more-deserving Lady Bird.
What's a shame is honestly I think if the Oscars weren't so focused on politics (both "who panders to us" and "who makes the film that espouses our beliefs), this category would be a cake-walk for Nolan to win... at least from what I've seen.

"Shape of Water" was soooo underwhelming, it disappoints me it'll be the first sci-fi film to win Best Picture. "Get Out" is very VERY overrated too and honestly doesn't really deserve Academy attention imho, but... you know, politics.

Haven't seen "Lady Bird" and I'm sure it's great but I can't imagine Gerwig's direction tops Nolan's. Haven't seen "Phantom Thread" though I'm sure PTA is, objectively speaking, the one in a just world who'd be competing w. Nolan for BD.

But Dunkirk was a artsy WWII drama made in the summer that was a success despite not being either a comic book movie, an animated film, or a Disney film. That's almost unheard of these days and shows how successful Nolan is. He's the one director working these days to get people to the theatre on original projects.

In a just world he'd be sweeping Best Director... but this isn't a just world. And Hollywood is all about who you suck up to.