Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Bacon wrote:Get Out being hailed as a masterpiece is still kind of crazy.
Wonderfully crazy.

Although it's a pretty good film, its no masterpiece

Best Costume and Visual Effects FYC ad for DUNKIRK

Love the artwork on these posters. And i think, if Christopher Nolan will be nominaded for Bafta's. He will also be nominated for Adcademy Awards.

Nomis wrote:
Although it's a pretty good film, its no masterpiece
I'm still baffled how a Tyler Perry version of a Twilight Zone episode is getting so much attention.

Get Out is an excellent highly watchable film, but it's not even the best horror movie of the year, nor the second best.£

Master Virgo wrote:Get Out is an excellent highly watchable film, but it's not even the best horror movie of the year, nor the second best.£
Agreed, but I hope you don't have mother! on that list (I also hope you don't really think it's a horror movie).

Get Out is kind of masterpiece, though.

-Vader

I watched nearly all BP Favorites. And to be honest. Although I love Dunkirk, Call Me By Your Name & The Shape Of Water are way better movies. I wouldn't mind if these 2 movies win. Lady Bird is also very likeable. But I don't get the hype for Get Out. It's just a solid horror movie with some racism topic in it. People nowadays admire just the topic, not the movie itself. Really Sad. I hope the right movie wins.

Best Director should be a close run between Nolan and Del Toro. Both deserve it. Not just for their recent films, but for their whole career. Greta Gerwig & Jordan Peele had solid directorial debuts. But I don't think that they have realistic chances. To my knowledge no director ever won an oscar for the first feature film. Somehow I hope Spielberg don't get a nod. The Post is the ultimate oscar bait.

My early prediction would be:
Best Picture - Nomination
Best Director - Win
Best Cinematography - Nomination (pretty sure that Roger Deakins will win for Blade Runner)
Best Film Editing - Win
Best Production Design - Nomination
Best Original Score - Nomination
Best Sound Editing - Win
Best Sound Mixing - Win
Best Visual Effects - Nomination

9 Nominations
4 Wins
:twothumbsup:

X-MementoMori-X wrote:My early prediction would be:
Best Picture - Nomination
Best Director - Win
Best Cinematography - Nomination (pretty sure that Roger Deakins will win for Blade Runner)
Best Film Editing - Win
Best Production Design - Nomination
Best Original Score - Nomination
Best Sound Editing - Win
Best Sound Mixing - Win
Best Visual Effects - Nomination

9 Nominations
4 Wins
:twothumbsup:
My predictions got wiped out with the other posts, but mine match yours for the most part. I feel a little more optimistic about a win for cinematography though, and hope that score gets what it gets as well.