Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
RIFA wrote:
Spert wrote:Production design is the biggest lock probably
Nah.

Sound mixing and editing are 100% locks.
I mean literally everyone, even the haters admit the practical effects and set pieces are great

Some people have complained about the muddled dialogue and loudness, those are probably locks but Production design is far and away the obvious lock

Spert wrote:
RIFA wrote:
Nah.

I mean literally everyone, even the haters admit the practical effects and set pieces are great

Some people have complained about the muddled dialogue and loudness, those are probably locks but Production design is far and away the obvious lock
I believe Interstellar was nominated for both sound categories and there were a crapload of blogs/articles ripping the sound on that film when it first screened. Jeff Wells is an example and you aren't seeing him write full articles ripping Dunkirk's sound this time. Quite the opposite. I would think if Interstellar survived that onslaught of negativity about sound quality, then the same will be true with Dunkirk. Everyone says it is a visceral experience (even the negative reviews). I would imagine the sound has to be a big part of that.

The academy loves to give the sound oscars to war films and big epics (Hacksaw Ridge, American Sniper, The Hurt Locker, Gladiator) or films with a lot of music.

Since Nolan films have been pretty succesful with oscars for sound in the past, and looking at upcoming releases, i'd say Dunkirk is very likely to pull in sound mixing and editing.

Other contenders may be Baby Driver for sound editing, and Last Jedi and Blade Runner 2049 for both categories.

Spert wrote:
RIFA wrote:
Nah.

Yes they do. But production design is a tricky category and there's competition there. By the end of the year Dunkirk's chances of getting nominated will probably go down. I mean you're forgetting Blade Runner 2049 is also coming this year. And the production design there... well... let's not get into that discussion yet lol.

Whereas sound... it's already a win imo because without amazing sound this movie would have flopped big time. I could have closed my eyes and still could have easily imagined what was going on on the screen.

I expect BR2049 to actually be nominated in all technical categories. Sound, cinematography, editing, production design, makeup, visual effects, original score.

Sound Editing and Mixing are instant wins in my opinion. I see it in 2 hours, but from everyone and review this is all I see them talking about as well as Smith's brilliant editing.

Oku
Dunkirk's chances of winning in the sound categories is probably hurt a bit by Hacksaw Ridge winning last year.

Being novel is part of the formula to winning an Oscar, and two consecutive war films is not novel.

So the Academy will have to take an exceptional liking to Dunkirk's sound mixing for it to win.

okungnyo wrote:Dunkirk's chances of winning in the sound categories is probably hurt a bit by Hacksaw Ridge winning last year.

Being novel is part of the formula to winning an Oscar, and two consecutive war films is not novel.

So the Academy will have to take an exceptional liking to Dunkirk's sound mixing for it to win.
Na it's gonna win. The Sound mixing in this is unbelievable. My Local IMAX theater is Awesome it was LOUD as shit. Almost gave me a heart attack the first 10 mins lol

NotoriousWolf wrote:it was LOUD as shit. Almost gave me a heart attack the first 10 mins lol
This.

NotoriousWolf wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Dunkirk's chances of winning in the sound categories is probably hurt a bit by Hacksaw Ridge winning last year.

Na it's gonna win. The Sound mixing in this is unbelievable. My Local IMAX theater is Awesome it was LOUD as shit. Almost gave me a heart attack the first 10 mins lol
Double This.

I fucking jumped when
the first gunshots went off. And then again the second time. :lol: