What if Dunkirk is disappointing?

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I find it unlikely the film will be outright bad, since Nolan has never made a bad film before. However, I do think there's a chance that it won't be great, and fall into the long list of mediocre slog fest war films. I hope that isn't the case, but I think there's an entirely good chance for that to happen.

Yeah. I'm sure the movie is bound to be at least very decent. The only possible outcome for me to be disappointed would be if it didn't meet my expectations - but I've tried to learn from my past mistakes (wouldn't really call them mistakes, and I haven't seen Interstellar in a very long time and I still love it, but I kind of feel like I may have overhyped it for myself in a way. Or maybe not - I should probably check out the movie again to decide), so while these past few weeks a little more terrible lmao, I've tried to relatively lay lower with this.

I mean, if this were to be really shitty though - obviously I'd be really bummed. But it's not the end of the world, I'm sure people would survive.

The reaction to Dunkirk has been far greater than the reaction to Interstellar. For Interstellar a few industry people like Edgar Wright made offhanded comments about it being great, but around the same time when they did a press screening it was reported that some barely clapped, or something to that effect. It didn't then have a huge outpouring of people saying it's amazing or a triumph. Dunkirk will surely be good.

And Interstellar disappointed me too, but it's still great movie comparatively to most "normie" movies.

Geoffrey wrote:The reaction to Dunkirk has been far greater than the reaction to Interstellar. For Interstellar a few industry people like Edgar Wright made offhanded comments about it being great, but around the same time when they did a press screening it was reported that some barely clapped, or something to that effect. It didn't then have a huge outpouring of people saying it's amazing or a triumph. Dunkirk will surely be good.

And Interstellar disappointed me too, but it's still great movie comparatively to most "normie" movies.
idk. The press were certainly more mixed on it than they've been on most other Nolan movies. But, there's a surprising amount of normies I know who love Interstellar. Which is very surprising considering it's a weird, emotional, three hour long sci-fi.

The Taxman wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:The reaction to Dunkirk has been far greater than the reaction to Interstellar. For Interstellar a few industry people like Edgar Wright made offhanded comments about it being great, but around the same time when they did a press screening it was reported that some barely clapped, or something to that effect. It didn't then have a huge outpouring of people saying it's amazing or a triumph. Dunkirk will surely be good.

idk. The press were certainly more mixed on it than they've been on most other Nolan movies. But, there's a surprising amount of normies I know who love Interstellar. Which is very surprising considering it's a weird, emotional, three hour long sci-fi.
It had excellent legs at the box office. You don't pull that off with poor word of mouth from the general audience. A lot of people found it to be an incredible movie. I think it's one of Nolan's Top 5 films.

Critics would have you believe it's the most average movie in the world...but that is not the case. Same is true with The Prestige.

Pratham wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I think we're still overlooking the likelihood of this.
Cil are you confusing Dunkirk with your sex life again

We talked about this

-Vader
i don't think fapping to shirtless pics of you, c8, and ted counts as sex lfe.
hey now

in my defense, they have some great pics

yea but

really tho

What if's are a curse for the mind, when it comes to Nolan. The over-analyzing of any piece of art before having seen it is a grave not worth digging I have found.

I guess this thread can be locked now.

^ Absolutely should be.