IMAX Prologue

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
but our eyes are round and curved

checkmate projectionists

genloovers wrote:
The Special One wrote:
TeddyBlass wrote:Rogue One is in only 14
That's extremely limited. There's only one of those in LA. Im hoping the prologue will play in all true IMAX theatres.
I still think they should show the prologue on all IMAX screens, even digital. I mean, the movie will be seen on all IMAX screens so why not?
Yes, this would make the most sense.

Crazy Eight wrote:
genloovers wrote:Yes, the image is more curved at the corners but it's barely noticeable if projected correctly; it just another way of seeing it and it works.
That's not how math works.

Or, lenses.
Jesus Christ. I meant the image curves around you due to the dome shape.

Well, 15.

genloovers wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
genloovers wrote:Yes, the image is more curved at the corners but it's barely noticeable if projected correctly; it just another way of seeing it and it works.
That's not how math works.

Or, lenses.
Jesus Christ. I meant the image curves around you due to the dome shape.
But like, that's the whole point. The film was shot on a rectangular piece of film - well, a lot of rectangular pieces of film - with lenses that produce an image to fill the rectangle, so the picture isn't supposed to curve... at all.

So yes, any curvature is going to create distortion and be noticeable, because it wasn't shot to fill a three dimensional semi circular screen.

EDIT: If you enjoyed your Dome theater experience that's awesome. I'm just trying to explain why a good amount of people don't like domes for films like Dunkirk.

Btw, really appreciate the TT shoutout Teddy! :twothumbsup: :gonf:

genloovers wrote:
The Special One wrote:
That's extremely limited. There's only one of those in LA. Im hoping the prologue will play in all true IMAX theatres.
I still think they should show the prologue on all IMAX screens, even digital. I mean, the movie will be seen on all IMAX screens so why not?
Nolan is gonna want it only shown the way he shot it and thats in 70mm big screens .. not on regular Liemax screens

AntHarris wrote:
genloovers wrote:I still think they should show the prologue on all IMAX screens, even digital. I mean, the movie will be seen on all IMAX screens so why not?
Nolan is gonna want it only shown the way he shot it and thats in 70mm big screens .. not on regular Liemax screens
Damn you Nolan!!

AntHarris wrote: Nolan is gonna want it only shown the way he shot it and thats in 70mm big screens .. not on regular Liemax screens
Again, Nolan got away with it with TDKR because there were 150 IMAXes showing Mi:GP in 70mm. Now, only 15, and most venues with the big 1.44:1 screens are digital now (either laser, which can go full screen, or xenon/liemax, which can't)

The Special One wrote:
AntHarris wrote:
genloovers wrote:I still think they should show the prologue on all IMAX screens, even digital. I mean, the movie will be seen on all IMAX screens so why not?
Damn you Nolan!!
4 years ago is not today. There are almost only a dozen 70mm screens left. Unless Nolan gets theaters to install 70mm projectors to up the number it would make no sense to only show this on 70mm screens because very few people will see it. I could see them expanding it out to digital IMAX screens as well this time.