IMAX Prologue

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Trailer Track is now saying:
It’s unclear which format the prologue will be presented in but we won’t be surprised if, like Nolan’s previous IMAX prologues (the director debuted the opening sequences of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises in similar fashion with I Am Legend and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol respectively), it will be shown with most if not all IMAX showings of Rogue One worldwide in IMAX’s digital and laser formats, as well as in 70mm IMAX film in these 15 theatres, to showcase the full scope of the opening 7 minutes of the film.

it better

aren't there like less than 15 of those 70 mm IMAX theaters left?

Rogue One is in only 14

dormouse7 wrote:Trailer Track is now saying:
It’s unclear which format the prologue will be presented in but we won’t be surprised if, like Nolan’s previous IMAX prologues (the director debuted the opening sequences of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises in similar fashion with I Am Legend and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol respectively), it will be shown with most if not all IMAX showings of Rogue One worldwide in IMAX’s digital and laser formats, as well as in 70mm IMAX film in these 15 theatres, to showcase the full scope of the opening 7 minutes of the film.
That'd be inaccurate. TDKR's prologue was a 70mm only engagement with the digital theaters getting the new trailer.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Bacon wrote:
TeddyBlass wrote:Fuck. Only 70mm IMAX theater left in Florida is a Dome :sick:

We have a beautifully renovated Dual 4K Laser theater, but knowing Nolan, it'll be film only.

In this day and age this 70mm only shit is just dumb.
Same situation. Is Dome really that bad?
Yes. It is. Feature films are not meant to be bent and molded over a sphere. Obviously it's going to ruin the image.

But I might go anyways.
Have you even seen an IMAX movie in the dome format? It doesn't ruin the image at all. It's definitely something someone needs to experience. It's the regular IMAX experience x 1000.

genloovers wrote:Have you even seen an IMAX movie in the dome format? It doesn't ruin the image at all. It's definitely something someone needs to experience. It's the regular IMAX experience x 1000.
Yes, I've actually been to the one in Philly I'd potentially be going to.

this is how movies are shot:

this is more or less how a dome projects it:
except it's worse than that because it's a 3 dimensional 180 degree area so there's even more bending of the picture.

I feel like this is self explanatory

This is something that is cool for a documentary or something shot specifically to be projected this way, but not for a film shot in a standard rectangular aspect ratio.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
genloovers wrote:Have you even seen an IMAX movie in the dome format? It doesn't ruin the image at all. It's definitely something someone needs to experience. It's the regular IMAX experience x 1000.
Yes, I've actually been to the one in Philly I'd potentially be going to.

this is how movies are shot:

this is more or less how a dome projects it:
except it's worse than that because it's a 3 dimensional 180 degree area so there's even more bending of the picture.

I feel like this is self explanatory

This is something that is cool for a documentary or something shot specifically to be projected this way, but not for a film shot in a standard rectangular aspect ratio.
Dude, I saw TDKR in a dome IMAX and it was AMAZING. Stop telling people not to go to the dome if that's all they have. The experience is FANTASTIC. Yes, the image is more curved at the corners but it's barely noticeable if projected correctly; it just another way of seeing it and it works.

TeddyBlass wrote:Rogue One is in only 14
That's extremely limited. There's only one of those in LA. Im hoping the prologue will play in all true IMAX theatres.

The Special One wrote:
TeddyBlass wrote:Rogue One is in only 14
That's extremely limited. There's only one of those in LA. Im hoping the prologue will play in all true IMAX theatres.
I still think they should show the prologue on all IMAX screens, even digital. I mean, the movie will be seen on all IMAX screens so why not?

genloovers wrote:Yes, the image is more curved at the corners but it's barely noticeable if projected correctly; it just another way of seeing it and it works.
That's not how math works.

Or, lenses.