IMAX Prologue

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Shady1 wrote:
Posting this dialogue again, if you want to read it, then watch the prologue again, I think you'll see how it played out.
I know what happened, I understand the dialogue, and yet I still feel like Barry's character is acting unnecessarily skittish, especially towards the end. Despite what happened and the dialogue.

Maybe that's because of the soundtrack, making the scene a lot more nervous than it is. And maybe Barry's character's only fear regarding the officers (if he has any, I get that you're saying he hasn't) is getting in trouble for helping them disobey orders.

As said, we'll find out in about seven months. It just stood out to me, is all, was only wondering if anyone else had picked up on it.
Last edited by fayestardust on December 19th, 2016, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Would anyone mind PMing me the prologue? Seeing it Wednesday in 70mm at the Citywalk, but I know I'll want to watch it again.

Guys, if you still want to see the prologue, go to the general thread and read the comment *hint hint* that the_red_ninja posted *hint hint*.

Copy. Thanks!

Shady1 wrote:He's not scared of the officers. He hopped aboard the Moonstone because he didn't want Rylance and Tom GC to go out and rescue the soldiers off of Dunkirk's shore.

As I have previously said in the dialogue, those civilians who volunteered their boats often let the Navy officers take their boats from them in order to use them in the evacuation. But some civilians - Rylance's character being one of them - decided he'd take his own damn boat out and not lend it to the Naval officers to do it.

The reason George was a bit hesitant about Rylance taking the boat out, was because he wanted the Navy officers to take it out and not have Rylance captain his own ship. Thats why he was a bit surprised and asked “Why ain’t you waiting on the Navy” But when he saw that Rylance was gonna be stubborn about it, he decided he was going to go with him and Tom GC.

Posting this dialogue again, if you want to read it, then watch the prologue again, I think you'll see how it played out.
Tom C – as Barry looks questioningly at the back of some naval officers, Tom C explains why they were there, “the Navy’s requisitioned her – be back in an hour” (referring to the officer's who would be back to get the Moonstone in an hour) “but dad wants us to be ready before then”
= it’s pretty clear to me that Rylance is the father of Tom Carney as well as Barry K’s character

Tom C – talking to Barry again “They’ve told us to strip her (the Moonstone) and load those life jackets, some men across the channel at Dunkirk need taking on”

Barry K looks at the life jackets and says questioningly “some men?”

Cuts to a few other scenes, then back to the Moonstone where it shows Tom C gathering life jackets onto the boat

Mark Rylance steps out the door quickly, watching what Barry K is doing (but you don’t see who Rylance is talking to) and says “And the other stern line, George” (We learn that Barry K’s character’s name is George)

Barry K (George), bends to untie the Moonstone from the mooring as he asks Rylance “Why ain’t you waiting on the Navy” (he was expecting Rylance to wait for the Navy to board the Moonstone before shoving off, as Tom C had previously told him they were supposed to be ready to go in an hour)

Rylance explains “They’ve asked for the Moonstone, they’ll have her….and their captain” (in other words, Rylance could have just let the Navy men take the Moonstone for the rescue mission, but instead HE chose to captain his own ship and not wait for the naval officers to take her out)

Tom C hops on board and says “and this son” (enthusiastically joining his father on the Moonstone for come what may)

Rylance says “thanks for the help George”, expecting Barry K to walk away, but instead George hops on board

Tom C says to George “What are you doing? You do know where we’re going?”
The Blue Ensign is hoisted on the Moonstone. This flag means Rylance's is wether a RN veteran or a RN reservist. It sounds like a duty to him. Like the "There’s no hiding from this, son. We have a job to do" that we heard in the trailer.

Am I the only one who keeps cringing every time I hear "We have a job to do" in the trailer? Sounds kind of cheesy and unnatural to me.

Darkline wrote:Am I the only one who keeps cringing every time I hear "We have a job to do" in the trailer? Sounds kind of cheesy and unnatural to me.
Well, it's out of context.

Darkline wrote:Am I the only one who keeps cringing every time I hear "We have a job to do" in the trailer? Sounds kind of cheesy and unnatural to me.
I don't know why you would cringe at that. Nothing unnatural about that to me.

Panapaok wrote:
Well, it's out of context.
Could be it. The more I watch the trailer, the more I like it, but that line gets cheesy for some reason. Probably the fault of repeat watching.

Oku
That's exactly the way I feel about the "You can practically see it from here. What? Home." line, but people seem to really like that one.

I had no problem with the "We have a job to do" line, it was an inspiring line.