IMAX Locations and Info Thread

Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.
Posts: 12549
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
MyCocaine wrote:
User of Interest wrote:Are you from Denmark? :wave:
A Prussian living in exile. Yeah, I live in the capital.
lmao

Posts: 8371
Joined: December 2011
Lord Shade wrote:The main thing about IMAX Laser is either it will get a different copy from a regular digital IMAX or not. If it's the copy with bigger resolution and larger aspect ratio than in digital IMAX, then IMAX Laster simply becomes a second priority after IMAX film presentation. If not, then it's not better than digital.

I've wrote to IMAX Corp to find out like three months ago, but they still didn't answer.
The laser versions for SW and BvS had the full 1.43:1 aspect ratio in 'real IMAX' theatres which had laser projection.

Apparently they're gonna do the same thing with early release for 35 and 70mm as Interstellar - https://indierevolver.com/2016/10/28/ir ... ays-early/

Posts: 16848
Joined: June 2012
Is Laser still something only used in the US and UK? Really hope some theaters in my country will start using it... Even though there haven't been any 15/70mm IMAX screens here, only digital ones. But that doesn't prevent from the Laser technology to work tho right?

Posts: 8371
Joined: December 2011
Nomis wrote:Is Laser still something only used in the US and UK? Really hope some theaters in my country will start using it... Even though there haven't been any 15/70mm IMAX screens here, only digital ones. But that doesn't prevent from the Laser technology to work tho right?
I'm pretty sure there's a 70mm IMAX in Berlin that uses laser, Australia too and so on. Having a 1.9:1 digital IMAX screen with laser projection will improve the image quality but not the aspect ratio as the screen is still 1.9

Posts: 12549
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
Is there a list or something of active and proposed locations?

Posts: 16848
Joined: June 2012
antovolk wrote:
Nomis wrote:Is Laser still something only used in the US and UK? Really hope some theaters in my country will start using it... Even though there haven't been any 15/70mm IMAX screens here, only digital ones. But that doesn't prevent from the Laser technology to work tho right?
I'm pretty sure there's a 70mm IMAX in Berlin that uses laser, Australia too and so on. Having a 1.9:1 digital IMAX screen with laser projection will improve the image quality but not the aspect ratio as the screen is still 1.9
Well Berlin is pretty far away from me lol but cool that they seem to have laser.

Posts: 2556
Joined: June 2016
Pratham wrote:Is there a list or something of active and proposed locations?
I don't think so. I did post in this thread recently lists of which IMAX cinemas got 70mm film prints of Dark Knight Rises, and also a couple of links where you can look up what IMAX cinemas even have the equipment to show 70mm film:

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 6#p1054045

Posts: 12549
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
dormouse7 wrote:
Pratham wrote:Is there a list or something of active and proposed locations?
I don't think so. I did post in this thread recently lists of which IMAX cinemas got 70mm film prints of Dark Knight Rises, and also a couple of links where you can look up what IMAX cinemas even have the equipment to show 70mm film:

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 6#p1054045
Thanks, but I was asking for laser projection.

Posts: 2494
Joined: January 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Pratham wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:
Pratham wrote:Is there a list or something of active and proposed locations?
I don't think so. I did post in this thread recently lists of which IMAX cinemas got 70mm film prints of Dark Knight Rises, and also a couple of links where you can look up what IMAX cinemas even have the equipment to show 70mm film:

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 6#p1054045
Thanks, but I was asking for laser projection.
Here's a list, but it's from the 1st of april 2015... So I don't think it's of much use for you.

http://www.imax.com/news/imax-laser-here

Posts: 1329
Joined: April 2014
Location: Depths of Violence
antovolk wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:The main thing about IMAX Laser is either it will get a different copy from a regular digital IMAX or not. If it's the copy with bigger resolution and larger aspect ratio than in digital IMAX, then IMAX Laster simply becomes a second priority after IMAX film presentation. If not, then it's not better than digital.

I've wrote to IMAX Corp to find out like three months ago, but they still didn't answer.
The laser versions for SW and BvS had the full 1.43:1 aspect ratio in 'real IMAX' theatres which had laser projection.

Apparently they're gonna do the same thing with early release for 35 and 70mm as Interstellar - https://indierevolver.com/2016/10/28/ir ... ays-early/
That's actually VERY great to hear! Thanks for the info. I have IMAX Laser in my country, but didn't manage to go to it yet. It would be absolutely amazing to have Dunkirk's full 1.43:1 copy playing in it next summer!

Post Reply