IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
dormouse7 wrote:Gotham
New York City. The nickname was popularized by Washington Irving and others in Salmagundi, a series of satirical sketches (1807-1808).

The Gotham typeface was created in 2000 but similar sans serif fonts were very popular in the 1940's. Sans serif fonts are also know as gothic fonts, so the name Gotham may relate more to that than to New York City or Batman's Gotham.
Wrong thread. :P

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
User of Interest wrote:I'm not sure if I did this correctly, but if I did, you're welcome:
Thanks. Lets me be able to change how I would have done the ending.

Note I don't like how Windows Movie Maker does fade-to-black, but the intent is still there.

https://vimeo.com/235152436

Gives it the Spider-Man 2 ending kind of editing.
I wouldn't have faded to black on Tommy.

Bacon wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
User of Interest wrote:I'm not sure if I did this correctly, but if I did, you're welcome:
Thanks. Lets me be able to change how I would have done the ending.

Note I don't like how Windows Movie Maker does fade-to-black, but the intent is still there.

https://vimeo.com/235152436

Gives it the Spider-Man 2 ending kind of editing.
I wouldn't have faded to black on Tommy.
Let me try it without a fade. I think the fade worked best because of the fact the music also faded. That, or I was thinking too much of Spider-Man 2.

I definitely don't want that paper sound effect, though.

EDIT: I think you might be right.

https://vimeo.com/235161035

Yeah, that looks perfect tbh.

Wow. I actually like it better this way. I understand why they decided to cut back to Tommy but I don't fully understand the decision behind the fade to black, then cut to Tommy. Gotta say, the way they did it has a certain impact on the viewer (It caught me off guard).

Much prefer the fade to black and then the cut back to Tommy.

Nomis wrote:Much prefer the fade to black and then the cut back to Tommy.
I'm not saying this because this particular circumstance or anything like that (trust me, I've done alterations to many things other than films, including songs, photos, etc.)... but something tells me that if Nolan originally had it the way that I edited it and vice-versa, you'd say that you'd prefer the direct cut to Tommy.

In other words, people normally tend to like the original more at times, either because they're used to it (as the first they've seen) or they respect the director's intent.

Now, this is only my sneaky suspicion. Of course, you may feel free to deny it. Of course of course, you also just may actually prefer it instead, in which case you absolutely have your right to your opinion. I would love to hear why you like the fade-to-black moment though, whether it was something Nolan said (which I don't remember if he added why he faded to black) or something that speaks to you when watching it.

I swear the first time I saw the film I thought it was a projection mistake. I thought better of it a few seconds later and chalked it up to being an intentional film edit, but it really caught me for a loop and felt very out-of-place. By the fourth time I saw the film in theater, I kind of caught an "audience reaction" to the moment. You get a couple people flinching as they kind of adjusted in their seats, ready to get up... and I even heard a single clap as that individual was ready to burst into applause. No matter what, I just feel it's an awkward false ending, even if it's just for a split-second.

Now, that's my opinion and my reason behind it. I'm much more interested in hearing about people's opinions who prefer the original, because I may end up liking that more if I hear it more, and I'll have more need to justify it. As you can tell, I edited the moment to a cut-to-black instead of a fade-to-black after somebody else stated their opinion, and I stood corrected when I saw it for myself. It just worked better. Spider-Man 2 has a fade-to-black that works for it, and this works better as a cut-to-black I suppose.

One final consideration I made was going straight to the credit music when the black begins, as opposed to having any silence before it whatsoever (bringing the credits up maybe a second or two earlier). Don't know if I'll try this edit unless anyone else asks for it, though.

One thing I think we can all agree on though is that going back to Tommy is a good idea, even though ending on the plane would have also felt theatrically appropriate. Curious if you like the paper sound effect at the end as well, by the way.

except taking out the fade to black deliberately undercuts the thematic implications of cutting back in

it’s there for a reason

Michaelf2225 wrote:except taking out the fade to black deliberately undercuts the thematic implications of cutting back in

it’s there for a reason
Got it.

Again, was this also mentioned in the Nolan quote that talks about the ending on Tommy? I'm genuinely curious, because I can't remember.