IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

Why those dark corners in the IMAX shots?

Looks incredible in 1.43 aspect ratio, luckily the 70mm presentation has a 2.20 aspect ratio, you immediately notice the difference it makes.
Could anybody make a 2.40/1.43/1.78 comparison of those shots? :D Would love to see what we all get to see at home.

We really need a (preferably Nolan) WWI film shot in IMAX, you could fit the entire trenches in the shots to really put you there whilst keeping the width too.

Nomis wrote:Why those dark corners in the IMAX shots?
Probably because of the lens.

I was gonna some of the footage IMAX released but the quality is so bad, so I decided to use a HQ IMAX still :D
This comparison makes me wonder if the non-IMAX DCP I saw was 2.39 or 2.20! They played trailers in scope which filled the whole screen so it probably was a 2.39.

2.39:1 (Scope DCP)
2.20:1 (2.20:1 DCP + 5/70)
1.90:1 (IMAX Xenon/Laser DCP)
1.78:1 (Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray)
1.43:1 (15/70 AKA 70mm IMAX + IMAX Laser DCP)

I noticed the dark corners through the Spitfire windshield when watching the film. Either the lens had a sun screen (or other structural feature) that vignetted the view for real, or maybe they did it on purpose to represent the view a Spitfire pilot had through his front windshield.

Those shots used the snorkel lens which took a couple of turns to get over the shoulder of the pilot.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
Nomis wrote:Why those dark corners in the IMAX shots?
Probably because of the lens.

I was gonna some of the footage IMAX released but the quality is so bad, so I decided to use a HQ IMAX still :D
This comparison makes me wonder if the non-IMAX DCP I saw was 2.39 or 2.20! They played trailers in scope which filled the whole screen so it probably was a 2.39.

2.39:1 (Scope DCP)
2.20:1 (2.20:1 DCP + 5/70)
1.90:1 (IMAX Xenon/Laser DCP)
1.78:1 (Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray)
1.43:1 (15/70 AKA 70mm IMAX + IMAX Laser DCP)
It's a real pity there are so few 1.43 IMAX theaters in Europe. I mean look at that, incredible

Thanks for arranging the pics like that. Thankfully, the 1.78 shows more of the image than the 1.90. Good thing the blu-ray will have the 65mm shots in 2.20. That extra height, albeit not as drastic as with IMAX shots, does make a difference.

You're welcome, Nomis. I hope they use a 1.43 master or DCP to make the 1.78 version this time. And yeah it sucks that 15/70 is so rare not just in Europe, but in the rest of the world too. People who live in America are so lucky because they have the highest number of 15/70 theaters in the world. We have a 15/70 Dome here and even though a lot of people have negative opinions about domes, I still wish they would get a print and screen it.

I had to do some research to refresh my photography knowledge but the black edges you see are probably caused by a small aperture (reduces light and produces a narrow depth of field) compared to other shots that use a wider/larger aperture.

SINCEPTION wrote:Heading to AMC CityWalk for the last showing of Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm :( :cry:
Yeah I watched my last showing there on Wednesday afternoon. Damn Inhumans. I'm gonna miss it :(

However, it appears Edwards Ontario is still showing Dunkirk in their IMAX!

https://www.regmovies.com/theaters/edwa ... 0035407898

Up through this Thursday 9/7, it looks like they're doing two afternoon showings of IMAX Dunkirk, then the rest of the showtimes for later in the day in their IMAX are for Inhumans.

It's a bit of a drive from me, but I think I might make the trek out there just to see it one last time. I've been spoiled having Citywalk so close to me; now I know how it feels for other NolanFans who had to drive an hour or more to see Dunkirk :lol:

hotsauce32 wrote:
SINCEPTION wrote:Heading to AMC CityWalk for the last showing of Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm :( :cry:
Yeah I watched my last showing there on Wednesday afternoon. Damn Inhumans. I'm gonna miss it :(

Up through this Thursday 9/7, it looks like they're doing two afternoon showings of IMAX Dunkirk, then the rest of the showtimes for later in the day in their IMAX are for Inhumans.

It's a bit of a drive from me, but I think I might make the trek out there just to see it one last time. I've been spoiled having Citywalk so close to me; now I know how it feels for other NolanFans who had to drive an hour or more to see Dunkirk :lol:
Ontario is 9-10 feet taller than CityWalk. Worth the drive. 8-)

redfirebird2008 wrote:
hotsauce32 wrote:

Ontario is 9-10 feet taller than CityWalk. Worth the drive. 8-)
Yeah I know! Both Edwards Ontario and Irivine are ~10ft taller and wider and same distance far from me (~70mi). However the hours are too early for mid of the week, and during weekend it's possible to take 2.5 hrs just to get there! I geniunely am so addicted to this film. I keep wanna see it more and more. Last night I reallocate missed it lol