IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Shady1 wrote:Why make a film in IMAX when so few people can watch it in IMAX? Is it really worth the additional cost?
The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar made over $100M on IMAX worldwide, so it is worth it.

the theatre near me has confirmed they'll be showing this in both a real IMAX 70mm film projector AND an IMAX digital projector - will I notice a difference?

I'm pretty sure I'll just see it in each and see for myself, but wondered what you all think? It seems I should do the 70mm first, right? what would you do?

Shady1 wrote:the theatre near me has confirmed they'll be showing this in both a real IMAX 70mm film projector AND an IMAX digital projector - will I notice a difference?

I'm pretty sure I'll just see it in each and see for myself, but wondered what you all think? It seems I should do the 70mm first, right? what would you do?
if the 'digital' projector they have isn't the laser one (which is mostly likely isn't) but the Xenon/'LieMAX' variety, absolutely.

For starters, on the digital projector the IMAX scenes won't fill the full height of the screen, and compared to 70mm the clarity and detail won't be there. They'd be projecting essentially a 2K image onto a giant screen. And - others on here can chime in as I haven't seen a xenon IMAX projection in ages - it's not good.

Shady1 wrote:Why make a film in IMAX when so few people can watch it in IMAX? Is it really worth the additional cost?
Still, it's an incredible capture format that will stand the test of time.
Shady1 wrote:what would you do?
I would go for the very best option. You're only experiencing the movie for the first time once. In your case I would definitely see it in IMAX 70mm first.
I myself might only have access to IMAX (2K) and regular screenings. IMAX is obviously the better option so I'll go for that on the very first screening.

Ok, thanks - 70mm it is, might not even bother with the digital then. I'll just see it twice in 70mm!! (or more if It's really as good as it seems it might be)

Shady1 wrote:the theatre near me has confirmed they'll be showing this in both a real IMAX 70mm film projector AND an IMAX digital projector - will I notice a difference?

70mm all the way.

The IMAX theater I'm planning to see it in 70mm at currently charges $19.25 for IMAX digital movies at noon or later and $12.75 for showings before noon. When they show this in 70mm, will the ticket prices remain the same as they are with digital films?

More from IMAX Melbourne of their 1570 projector running, this time test screening The Dark Knight. I know it's not Dunkirk related, but it's part of the lead up to the release of Dunkirk and is still interesting nonetheless

https://www.facebook.com/imaxmelbourne/ ... 199119911/

Well, my only option in my country is the 2k digital, but since its my first time in IMAX Im still pretty excited and cant wait!

Really hoping Grand Rapids MI gets a 15/70 copy, I saw Interstellar twice at the IMAX down there and it was absolutely fantastic.