IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Willem wrote:So I'm talking with @ImTheFilmEditor on Twitter, and he told that they have already tested the IMAX projector, and it seems like they already have a part of the Dunkirk print. He's going to keep us updated about the projector and the print.

Update:

- Confirmed location: Irvine Spectrum 21 IMAX & RPX.
- Irvine Spectrum 21 IMAX & RPX still playing the 70MM IMAX "Dunkirk" Prologue.
- IMAX 70MM Film Projector has been tested by projectionist and IMAX Consultant, dusted off, and polished for immediate use!
- IMAX will deliver the 70MM IMAX Film Presentation at the end of June.

Pictures of the film projector and the theater:
Almost 68 feet tall. Awesome. Bigger than the usual 60-65 foot height of most giant IMAX screens.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/searchResults ... Irvine+Reg

Willem wrote:So I'm talking with @ImTheFilmEditor on Twitter, and he told that they have already tested the IMAX projector, and it seems like they already have a part of the Dunkirk print. He's going to keep us updated about the projector and the print.

Update:

- Confirmed location: Irvine Spectrum 21 IMAX & RPX.
- Irvine Spectrum 21 IMAX & RPX still playing the 70MM IMAX "Dunkirk" Prologue.
- IMAX 70MM Film Projector has been tested by projectionist and IMAX Consultant, dusted off, and polished for immediate use!
- IMAX will deliver the 70MM IMAX Film Presentation at the end of June.

Pictures of the film projector and the theater:
This IMAX played the prologue in front of Star Wars, Kong Skull Island and now Wonder Woman. Very nice piece of marketing.

Update 3 (from @ImTheFilmEditor)

IMAX speakers were spect and tested for optimal sound. Speakers are all ready for showtime. Projector has been lined up into position!

Willem wrote:Update 3 (from @ImTheFilmEditor)

IMAX speakers were spect and tested for optimal sound. Speakers are all ready for showtime. Projector has been lined up into position!
nice

So happy the Irvine one is getting it again, didnt know they removed the projector though.

So I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

An IMAX theatre near me says it has "dual projection". What is that? The screen format here is 1570, but it also features "IMAX® Small Rotor System". What, pray tell, is that?

Shady1 wrote:So I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

An IMAX theatre near me says it has "dual projection". What is that? The screen format here is 1570, but it also features "IMAX® Small Rotor System". What, pray tell, is that?
Dual projection means you've got both 70mm and digital set up.

"Small Rotor" means you've got a smaller 70mm SR projector. There are several types of IMAX projectors - GT (which is the biggest for the biggest screens), SR (which is for slightly smaller 70mm 1.43 theatres) and the MPX which is the film precursor to the digital "LieMAX" with a around 1.75:1 aspect ratio.

Thanks antovolk. Looks like I've got a fairly decent setup for my viewing pleasure only 10 minutes away from me. If only July would hurry up and get here...

Forum Pro
Vader182 wrote:CHICAGO info for those in the windy city:

-Don't count on Navy Pier being open, it probably won't be. We're fucked as far as laser goes.

-Cinemark and Seven Bridges IMAX has literally no idea if they're getting a film print of it. And won't find out until 1-2 weeks before if that. They found out about TDKR last minute and found out they weren't getting Interstellar last minute too.

The management of that theater I'm close with and they'll try to get a print if they can. But it's 99% up to WB on levels they have no contact with.

-Regal in Lincolnshire is in the same boat. They haven't heard anything and weren't expecting a print.

-The Music Box theater in Wrigleyville is getting a 2.40 AR 70mm print.

My guess is that Nolan will want a real film IMAX print to be shown in his home American city of Chicago, so due to Navy Pier most likely being closed they'll probably distribute that print somewhere and perhaps to Cinemark or Regal. OR they say oh they're already getting a 70mm print in 2.40 fuck 'em.

But either way we won't know until 1-2 weeks before. Frankly I'm raging about this. Navy Pier totally butchered it's opening schedule and closed the theater way too late for renovations and are missing all the Summer movies. The fact this is being caused by negligence makes it worse.

Anyhow we'll see. I may make plans to try and see it in laser/film IMAX out of state.

-Vader
The Navy Pier Imax is a terrible theater, they should have closed down after the holiday season.

So if tickets go on sale June 23, I wonder when we can expect an official list of all the 70mm IMAX screening locations? :think: