IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
An IMAX 70mm theater (MN Zoo) leaked the info that they will be showing a 7-minute prologue for Dunkirk before Rogue One.

This article includes a lists of IMAX theaters that will be showing Rogue One in 70mm..

http://www.slashfilm.com/dunkirk-imax-preview/

I don't understand what they think they're going to accomplish with this? These IMAX theatre's are only in cities with populations of about 100 people (yes, I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean, these are not exactly major cities).

Why would they add a Dunkirk prologue that nobody is going to be able to see?

What? Rogue one in Imax is a big pull and these are big theaters. Putting a Dunkirk prologue ahead of it will bring viewers to that Imax theater and also raise awareness about Dunkirk for regular joe viewers. It's a win win.

Shady1 wrote:I don't understand what they think they're going to accomplish with this? These IMAX theatre's are only in cities with populations of about 100 people (yes, I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean, these are not exactly major cities).

Why would they add a Dunkirk prologue that nobody is going to be able to see?
Center City Philadelphia isn't a major city?

Ok, well....it's not showing in NYC, so yeah.....nothing else is a "major city" on that list. Sorry, I don't make the rules. :lol:

The reason the list is so small is that Disney is forcing most IMAX capable theaters to play Rogue One in 3D. So...unfortunately...blame Disney.

However, YAY Fort Worth! I got in early to see the Dark Knight Rises prologue as a special screening and WB had t-shirts and everything - would love to do that again.

Damn...that was 5 years ago...where has time gone?

I still think it's strange that it's so limited. What is even the point?

Btw bear in mind with the prologue - when Nolan did this as a 70mm exclusive with TDKR and Mission Impossible, MI:GP was screening in 70mm in 150 locations or so IIRC. Only 15 with R1. So would make most sense if all IMAXes get it regardless of format. Nothing has been confirmed yet despite what you're seeing on the internet.

antovolk wrote:Btw bear in mind with the prologue - when Nolan did this as a 70mm exclusive with TDKR and Mission Impossible, MI:GP was screening in 70mm in 150 locations or so IIRC. Only 15 with R1. So would make most sense if all IMAXes get it regardless of format. Nothing has been confirmed yet despite what you're seeing on the internet.
Ok, thanks. That makes me feel better. I can understand why they'd only want to show it in IMAX. Guess I'll just have to wait and see - although waiting is not a thing I enjoy. But I was already waiting for July, so I can just reset myself for that long-ass Nolan drought.

Hustler wrote:The Henry Ford IMAX in Dearborn, MI went digital. That was already a 2-hour drive, so it looks like I won't be seeing Dunkirk on film.
I saw Interstellar at my local digital IMAX and it was a good experience, but I think this time I'm going to bite the bullet and drive 5 hours to Austin, Texas. The Bob Bullock Museum IMAX was converted from 1570 to Laser this year. It should give a much more accurate portrayal of Nolan's intent than my local digital IMAX.