DVD/Blu-ray Release

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I'm sure Nolan has his reasons :lol:

Off topic - I'm not sure of the technicalities surrounding it, but is 16:9 65 mm possible/ever been done? i.e. exposing more than 5 perforations of 65 mm film per frame to make a 16:9 frame? :think:

ChristMAX wrote:I'm sure Nolan has his reasons :lol:

Off topic - I'm not sure of the technicalities surrounding it, but is 16:9 65 mm possible/ever been done? i.e. exposing more than 5 perforations of 65 mm film per frame to make a 16:9 frame? :think:
It's unlikely, but that doesn't mean you can't crop that digitally in post-production for a Blu-ray disc.

For Blu-ray, why not just view the Warner Brothers digital copy - it seems to be 2.2:1.

^BD quality (+4K HDR/SDR) digital copies exist and they are 2.20:1.

When Tommy, Alex and Gibson returns to the beach, I can't seem to find Shivering Soldier anywhere. Not even in the group of men pushing the boat towards land...? :batman:

How are home media sales considering every store I go to has very limited number of these (My local Target was sold out of BD's and 4K's completely) and I don't know if that's related or because of the odd delay that happened online or if the movie is actually selling that well.

dormouse7 wrote:For Blu-ray, why not just view the Warner Brothers digital copy - it seems to be 2.2:1.
AhmadAli95 wrote:^BD quality (+4K HDR/SDR) digital copies exist and they are 2.20:1.
- Digital copies still run through compression algorithms that are much heavier than Blu-ray.

- Low Internet speeds offered at my house would mean an extremely low bitrate.

- No lossless audio codecs, not to mention how compressed that would be through streaming.

- Don't know if playback through my television would be at 23.976 FPS (this is the biggest one for me, because I simply cannot stand judder).

- I don't have a 4K TV to take advantage of HDR (by choice, mind you), and rumor has it that downconversion to SDR is not always proper.

- Somebody said that the digital copy was 2.35:1, but they may have a different version or they may be mistaken. I already went on record saying I wouldn't like that much cropped with my version of Dunkirk when i can make a 2.20:1 version myself.

- What's done is done. Didn't know about the digital copy front before (plus everything I just said above would be detractory anyway), and I have already created and pressed my version to disc. I'm set, homey!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, keeping all that in mind... I certainly would be okay with the new TDK digital copy since apparently it has the proper theatrical presentation (no edge-enhancement, DNR, contrast boost, or wrong color timing), even if it meant a way for me to try and figure out how to properly time a new Blu-ray I'll be making with custom-cropped 2.40:1 AR. I am not going to spend $30 for that, though.

Official Charts: Verified account @officialcharts
8m 8 minutes ago

Dunkirk set for a third week at Number 1 on the UK's DVD & Blu-ray Chart.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... rt__21364/
Dunkirk is dominating the DVD and Blu-ray market once again this week as it looks to make it three weeks at Number 1.

In today's Official Video Chart Update, a midweek glance at what the final Official Video Chart standings could look like this Sunday, the Christopher Nolan directed movie is glued to the top spot, and should extend its fortnight of supremacy to a three-week stretch.

Dunkirk has already shifted an incredible 647,000 units after just two weeks on sale, becoming the Christmas Number 1 DVD in the process. With first week sales of 556,000, the film was the second fastest-selling release of 2017, and looks poised to be the first chart topper of 2018.

Starring Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy, Dunkirk is the 6th Official Video Chart Number 1 of Christopher Nolan's directorial career following Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. Dunkirk is the third fastest-selling, behind The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
Last edited by dormouse7 on January 4th, 2018, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, so working on my Interstellar custom crop job, I thought it would be beneficial to get a guideline this time around by using the DVD. But it turns out they just center-cropped on the DVD.

Makes me wonder if the digital copy of the film would be like that, and also makes me wonder if they just did that for Dunkirk's digital copies as well. Sorry, but if so I'm going to stick to mine regardless then. Center-cropping is so easy and takes virtually no time to do, except for re-encoding (and that just requires me to sit on my thumbs).

I can't believe how lazy Paramount was. Maybe it's just them and not WB for the other film releases.

Oku
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of his releases center-cropped?