Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.

DVD/Blu-ray Release

kamelgunner wrote:i mean brightness guys the rip is a little bit darker maybe due to the lack of resolution or just from every early rip that we are used to get

Thanks for the clarification.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:[
okungnyo wrote:I saw it in IMAX Laser, which has the same aspect ratio as IMAX 70 mm.

I couldn't remember whether there was panning or not, but I do remember seeing that shot posted in its original aspect ratio by IMAX on Twitter.

So I went back to look for it, and yeah, here it is: https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/894196386995908608

There does seem to be panning there in the original shot, no?

Ah shoot, you might be right. Then either it's much more subtle in its original format or it's so hard to see when looking at a big IMAX screen. Anyway, it's certainly not as drastic/noticeable there.

Yeah, I don't think that Mr. Nolan does panning/adjusting of the IMAX frame on home release.

He prefers to keep it as simple as possible: crop top and bottom equally.

Star Trek into Darkness did what you are talking about, though; I remember seeing comparison shots.
Apparently this is reuploaded:
If they do upload the tide scene, we have to dissect whether or not one of the washed up floating bodies is the smiling teaser trailer dude.
YouTube's compression algorithm is relentless anyway. And they're clips from an already fairly compressed (but still decent) Blu-Ray rip. The quality of these YouTube clips is obviously not optimal but still pretty good.

The one thing that really stuck out to me while watching the the rip on my TV is the camera flickering. it get's really noticeable on a smaller TV versus a giant screen. Not that it ruins the experience in any way but it surprised me how noticeable it was compared to when I saw it in IMAX.

The first bombing scene is probably my favorite scene in the film, it was so early and unexpected, I thought were were gonna get a big tense ramp up to the first bombing, initiating a big escape sequence or something. Turns out those bastards were standing on that beach for a week casually getting bombed all the way through, fuck me.

The sound design of the Stuka's also really reminds me of the Tripods in War of The Worlds for some reason, the whole movie really. There is something otherworldly and just straight up terrifying to how the Nazi's are portrait in Dunkirk.
Reaveybeach wrote:
The one thing that really stuck out to me while watching the the rip on my TV is the camera flickering. it get's really noticeable on a smaller TV versus a giant screen. Not that it ruins the experience in any way but it surprised me how noticeable it was compared to when I saw it in IMAX

Interesting. It's the opposite for me. I noticed a lot more flicker in IMAX (Xenon), it looked more filmic. Also, the 5/65 sequences looked a lot dimmer than the 15/65, but they match very well on Blu-ray.

The Stukas... that freaking scream when they drop the bombs is ear piercing. I'm not complaining but it sounds really harsh when you play it loud.
It was noticeable in the 70mm screening. Only more so when you've seen a long amount of only IMAX, because you go from very bright to dimmer. Going from dimmer to bright is more pleasant though. I wonder how it's going to be on the blu-ray. The 2.20 to 1.78 aspect ratio switch is going to be less dramatic than 2.35 and 1.78 and the image quality is much closer to IMAX too.

Really wish I had a 4K HDR TV with 4K blu-ray... I think this is going to be the best looking film yet on that format.
"What do you see?"
"Home!"
:cry:

The switch is less dramatic indeed but it still made me wish it was shot entirely on IMAX film. I can't wait to purchase a 4K HDR tv so I can watch this and Interstellar and see what's so amazing about HDR.

And still no tide sequence yet?
-"The tide's turning now"
-"How can you tell?"
-"The bodies come back."

The look on D'arcy's face when he heard that...
I got chills!
The entire movie is on YouTube (not for long)... Lmao.
I think it was a wise choice to go for 65mm for the lengthier dialogue scenes. Not to forget that we probably wouldn't have gotten that final shot if it was shot entirely in IMAX.

Perhaps Nolan one day will manage to shoot a film entirely in IMAX but I find it a bit hard to fathom he can make one with even fewer dialogue and something has to be done about the camera to make it more quiet... Only thing I can think of is using it like you would underwater, hermetically sealed, perhaps that makes it a bit more quiet lololol but even more unpractical
← Previous page Next page →
← Return to Dunkirk