DVD/Blu-ray Release

Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.
User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3044
Joined: May 2012
AhmadAli95 wrote:
Dobson wrote:I just compared some pictures of the IMAX cells with the Bluray and there is barely anything missing on the left and right, definitely not enough for this rumour to be true. So the 1.78:1 Bluray indeed shows more than the 1.90:1 version, not less.
Trax-3 wrote:It doesn't make much sense. Hard to believe that Nolan would approve and the home video version doesn't come from DCP anyway. It should be two different and differently graded masters.
The difference is very small, but I'd rather we got more than less.
1.43:1
Image
1.78:1
Image
1.90:1 in a 1.78:1 container
Image
But I gotta say, I shouldn't have mentioned it because the difference is so small.
Where is the first pic from?

And the second one is a screenshot you took, I assume?

And the third one you made in Paint or something?? :lol:

Posts: 27
Joined: April 2017
In principle, I don't think any information would be lost from the negative to the print.
But it is.

You don't want the edge of the frame, with hair and other crap, on the screen.
The projector should do some cropping and so should the screen masking, if it exists.
Last edited by Trax-3 on July 23rd, 2017, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 1068
Joined: December 2016
okungnyo wrote: Where is the first pic from?
And the second one is a screenshot you took, I assume?
And the third one you made in Paint or something?? :lol:
1. BD special features: https://youtu.be/k7aiX7_1X9s?t=11m59s
2. Yes :D
3. Photoshop :lol:
Trax-3 wrote:
In principle, I don't think any information would be lost from the negative to the print.
But it is.

You don't want the edge of the image, with hair and other crap, on the screen.
The projector should do some cropping and so should the screen masking, if it exists.
You can pretty much scan the full image the camera has captured and there's no hair and crap involved. But they definitely didn't scan a print for the BD master. I don't know what their process was but I think they made the IMAX DCP straight out of the scans used for VFX but I'm still not sure.
Last edited by AhmadAli95 on July 23rd, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 16697
Joined: June 2012
Is the extra height on the 1.78 really that small compared to 1.90? I thought it was more... Anyway I guess you're right.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3044
Joined: May 2012
Trax-3 wrote:
In principle, I don't think any information would be lost from the negative to the print.
But it is.

You don't want the edge of the frame, with hair and other crap, on the screen.
The projector should do some cropping and so should the screen masking, if it exists.
Is that true? Film projectors cut off the edge of the frame? Is that a regular occurrence?

So directors who film in film film knowing in advance that the edge of the frame will be cropped?

And what do you mean by "the edge of the frame, with hair and other crap"?

Why are things more likely to attach to the edge of the film rather than, say, the center?
AhmadAli95 wrote:
okungnyo wrote: Where is the first pic from?
And the second one is a screenshot you took, I assume?
And the third one you made in Paint or something?? :lol:
1. BD special features: https://youtu.be/k7aiX7_1X9s?t=11m59s
2. Yes :D
3. Photoshop :lol:
Trax-3 wrote:
In principle, I don't think any information would be lost from the negative to the print.
But it is.

You don't want the edge of the image, with hair and other crap, on the screen.
The projector should do some cropping and so should the screen masking, if it exists.
You can pretty much scan the full image the camera has captured and there's no hair and crap involved. But they definitely didn't scan a print for the BD master. I don't know what their process was but I think they made the IMAX DCP straight out of the scans used for VFX but I'm still not sure.
Thanks.

Posts: 645
Joined: May 2017
Location: San Bruno, CA
I feel like we're due for a Nolan commentary track with this film.

Posts: 448
Joined: March 2011
This, and the upcoming remastered versions of Nolan's films, is going to force me to convert to 4K.

Posts: 237
Joined: June 2011
Location: Slovakia
Since prologue was different in some parts what do you guys think are the chances Nolan will release it as a bonus on blu-ray?

I think it could be interesting to see how they put it together, you know, if they will include trailers (like they usually do) why not add this as a promotional part of the film?


PS: If it will be then we might be able to extract Zimmers score too.

Posts: 301
Joined: June 2017
Location: Holland
stanley wrote:This, and the upcoming remastered versions of Nolan's films, is going to force me to convert to 4K.
Yeah, me too. I already invested in a really good 4K TV, still waiting on 4K Bluray players to drop a bit in price.

Posts: 8330
Joined: December 2011
Collector03601 wrote:Since prologue was different in some parts what do you guys think are the chances Nolan will release it as a bonus on blu-ray?

I think it could be interesting to see how they put it together, you know, if they will include trailers (like they usually do) why not add this as a promotional part of the film?


PS: If it will be then we might be able to extract Zimmers score too.
Chances are good I'd say

Post Reply