DVD/Blu-ray Release

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
November would be a good release date.

It would give Academy voters and other guild members a good chance to see it again.

AhmadAli95 wrote:I hope so too.
Thank goodness there's a 1.43:1 DCP. I hope they use to create the 1.78:1 BD instead of cropping the 1.90:1 like they did on on Interstellar.
Wait, they cropped the 1:43:1 at the top and bottom to achieve the 1.90:1 and then cropped that one again on the left and right to get 1.78:1 for Bluray, instead of just cropping the 1:43:1?

Dobson wrote:
Thank goodness there's a 1.43:1 DCP. I hope they use to create the 1.78:1 BD instead of cropping the 1.90:1 like they did on on Interstellar.
Wait, they cropped the 1:43:1 at the top and bottom to achieve the 1.90:1 and then cropped that one again on the left and right to get 1.78:1 for Bluray, instead of just cropping the 1:43:1?
Apparently. That's what I've read somewhere.
okungnyo wrote:What do you mean?
1.78:1 is slightly taller than 1.90:1, if they had used a 1.43:1 master there would have been slightly more information on the top and bottom compared to the IMAX 1.90:1 DCP but they used the already cropped DCP.

It doesn't make much sense. Hard to believe that Nolan would approve and the home video version doesn't come from DCP anyway. It should be two different and differently graded masters.
Last edited by Trax-3 on July 23rd, 2017, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oku
AhmadAli95 wrote:
Dobson wrote:
1.78:1 is slightly taller than 1.90:1, if they had used a 1.43:1 master there would have been slightly more information on the top and bottom compared to the IMAX 1.90:1 DCP but they used the already cropped DCP.
So they not only cut off the top and bottom, but the sides too, huh?

I hope that's not the case with Dunkirk.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
Dobson wrote:
I just compared some pictures of the IMAX cells with the Bluray and there is barely anything missing on the left and right, definitely not enough for this rumour to be true. So the 1.78:1 Bluray indeed shows more than the 1.90:1 version, not less.

MyCocaine wrote:November would be a good release date.

It would give Academy voters and other guild members a good chance to see it again.
Yeah, hope they don't wait till December to release this (unless it has THAT good of legs).

Dobson wrote:I just compared some pictures of the IMAX cells with the Bluray and there is barely anything missing on the left and right, definitely not enough for this rumour to be true. So the 1.78:1 Bluray indeed shows more than the 1.90:1 version, not less.
Trax-3 wrote:It doesn't make much sense. Hard to believe that Nolan would approve and the home video version doesn't come from DCP anyway. It should be two different and differently graded masters.
The difference is very small, but I'd rather we got more than less.
1.43:1
1.78:1
1.90:1 in a 1.78:1 container
But I gotta say, I shouldn't have mentioned it because the difference is so small.

How much of that full frame is supposed to be cropped in the projector anyway?

You can't just measure from side to side and expect that all of it was expected to be seen.

Also, is it even the exact same frame? I would say it isn't.

In principle, I don't think any information would be lost from the negative to the print. And yes it's not the same frame because it's missing some additional layers (the water splashes) so it was hard to get the same exact frame but it doesn't matter because the camera doesn't move at all and it's attached directly to the ranger the entire time.