DVD/Blu-ray Release

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Sanchez wrote:I'm not talking about theaters here. I've seen Nolan films ten times more often at home, and I think the shifting aspect ratio truly adds to the immersion. And my friends all say the same thing whenever I watch them with someone.

There isn't a single IMAX theater in my country, so I've never had the pleasure to watch any of Nolan's movies in that format. All I've ever seen on the big screen is 2.20:1
Perhaps I'm just spoiled, then. The immersion loses me at home, all I see is an inconsistent AR. The picture quality is nice, but I don't need the extra image.

In 70mm IMAX, it pretty much appears in your periphery. It's not necessarily meant to be looked at, so to speak. It's just added for immersion (remember that it's 1.44:1, not 1.78:1). Like I said, I love the picture quality of it though, and I would get that no matter the ratio because of what it is filmed in.

It's not a big issue for me since I make constant AR Blu-ray discs for Nolan's films with IMAX content, but I won't have a solution yet if and when I step up to the 4K market.

The 1080p BD of Dunkirk clocks in at a max of 38 mbps and tends to linger around 36 mbps. (acording to my player’s own indication). To compare, I looked at Birdman and Boyhood, both presented close to the same aspect ratio as Dunkirk. Boyhood has a max of 31 mbps and lingers around 22-24 mbps. Birdman, however, is very similar to Dunkirk and maxes out at 38 mbps and lingers around 35 mbps.

Nicewatch wrote:The 1080p BD of Dunkirk clocks in at a max of 38 mbps and tends to linger around 36 mbps. (acording to my player’s own indication). To compare, I looked at Birdman and Boyhood, both presented close to the same aspect ratio as Dunkirk. Boyhood has a max of 31 mbps and lingers around 22-24 mbps. Birdman, however, is very similar to Dunkirk and maxes out at 38 mbps and lingers around 35 mbps.
Sounds like a nice watch.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Nicewatch wrote:The 1080p BD of Dunkirk clocks in at a max of 38 mbps and tends to linger around 36 mbps. (acording to my player’s own indication). To compare, I looked at Birdman and Boyhood, both presented close to the same aspect ratio as Dunkirk. Boyhood has a max of 31 mbps and lingers around 22-24 mbps. Birdman, however, is very similar to Dunkirk and maxes out at 38 mbps and lingers around 35 mbps.
A very nice, high resolution, high bitrate watch, that you should watch with the volume turned up at max.

Nicewatch wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
A very nice, high resolution, high bitrate watch, that you should watch with the volume turned up at max.
I think my house would explode if I did that.

This is War of the Worlds at -6 dB:

Law wrote:
Bacon wrote:
Bacon wrote:Can someone who got the Best Buy Steelbook in the USA tell me how well the adhesive disc hub on the DVD side of the case works? I won't be getting the Steelbook until Christmas but I want to know if I made the correct decision by getting that one (I wanted to protect my discs from being stacked).
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I just bought it and it's fine
The DVD disc hub is an adhesive (one that sticks on to the left side of the steelbook). I got it because I was worried about how the normal release stacks their discs on top of each other, and I was just wondering if the disc holds on to the hub well and it doesn't seem like it's hurting the disc.

EDIT: Also, to anyone wanting the Nolan 4K Collection, the set is actually hideous. Especially compared to the original Nolan Collection on Blu-Ray (which is what I have).

Forbes wrote:All of Dunkirk’s extra features are found on a dedicated Special Features Blu-ray. They run to around 1 hour 50 minutes, and are split into four sections - Creation, Land, Air, Sea, Conclusion - each of which has its own group of small featurette sections. They can be played as one long ‘movie’, or accessed by section.

Bacon wrote:EDIT: Also, to anyone wanting the Nolan 4K Collection, the set is actually hideous. Especially compared to the original Nolan Collection on Blu-Ray (which is what I have).
Hideous how?

They grouped the discs into three jumbo cases:
1. 4K discs
2. BD discs
3. Bonus Features